gueets

Hand tying jigs

What do you want to know?

1. Get a decent vise. Dont need to spend much, just make sure the jaws will hold bigger hooks for bass jigs.

2. Decide on a material.

3. For rabbit Tying The Black Rabbit Hair Leech

4. For silicon, buy strips and wrap around jig head to desired amount. Some like them real sparce and some like them thick. Arrange colors to your liking.

5. For bucktail, just wrap a clump on the top & bottom, trim, then wrap and clean up the top.

6. Glue wrap with jig glue, super glue (I like the gel), or hard as nails fingernail polish.

Experiment. Add chenile to the hook shank. Add maribu. Add rabbit and silicon, add bucktail.

If you have really specific problems ask away, but the best I can tell you is go to you-tube and search for jig tying and you'll find many many excellent video's to help you out.

As drfish said if you get into the small jigs post over at Crappie.com the guys are all great and lot's of photo's and several good sticky's with tutorials to help you out

Fatman

Hey guy's CrappieDale here, everybody needs to get envolved in this theres nothing like it, and there are times were nothing else will do except for a fresh hand tied jig!

Ill be airing a good how to make a quality jig video soon! ill take you through the correct and nessasary steps on tying a good jig, from body sizes to feather styles and wraps. When youre done youll be able to complete your own hand tied crappie jig to fish with.

and in return fill up your livewell. be looking for the video!

Contact me CrappieDale, BNB Crappie B)

Edited by Spike-A-Pike
Signature Rule Violation

I tie my own buck tail jigs and I also dress trebble hooks for spinner jigs.

Got my info from Bass Pro Shops beginer fly tying kits, it gomes with everything you will need, plus a tape to get you started.

Be VERY careful...addicting and then you'll have another problem...time... thats all I do (in my spare time)...and if you have any imagination you are off into the outer limits...Have three vises three filing cabinets full of material... lead melting pot molds, hooks I...I....got it bad!!!!

Just a couple of comments: for durability's sake, I use a flexible construction cement like Dave's Flexament or Flex-Seal and give the bucktail/feather butts, etc. a good soaking before finishing the heads. For a finishing cement, you can't beat multiple coats of Sally Hansen Hard as Nails With Nylon, or if you're feeling ambitious, Devcon 2T. Once you get the basics down, it's a nice touch to wrap the heads with Krystal Flash and/or wrap some multi-colored stripes. There's no reason not to dress them up a bit and make them look a little special - people really notice that kind of stuff.wink.gif