Snax

My first molded plastic Swimbait!!!

Hey gang,

I am excited to finally have my first molded plastic lure in production. They were molded for me by our very own muskydan666 using Featherlite. Dan did a fantastic job creating a mold from a wooden carved body I sent him. This is the first one to be painted up.

Hope you like it! Here's a link to a video showing the bait...

Let me know how you like the video!!!

YouTube - 1st Musky Snax Plastix Swimbait!!!

I do think this style of joints is better. It's not practical when making them from wood by hand but in a molded bait you only have to do everything once for the original then pour away!

Thanks again to Dan for his outstanding job molding these bodies for me.:yay:

Great questions guys. The fins are molded as part of the lure except for the fiber tail which is installed after the baits have ben airbrushed and clear coated. The lures are poured by Dan with wires in the mould so that he can simply pull them out after the lures have cured. He tells me that it's easy to remove them which is good to hear. It also means that the insides of the holes will have a smooth surface and will give a smooth action when the lure segments are pivoting on them.

I made the prototype with the holes for lead ballast already drilled so when I receive the bodies all I need to do is pour in the lead, then seal it and smooth the surface up with epoxy putty.

Before airbrushing I wipe the surface down with alcohol which helps with the adhesion of the base coats. I use Auto Air Colors exclusively and they are affordable and offer an outstanding range of colors and effects.

As for Dan having time to do molds for any one else that's up to him but he's going to be pretty busy with my baits for a while! ;)

where did you get the idea for the hinge design?

I've seen it used on a number of other Swimbaits on the market but I can't think of a particular one of the top of my head. I prefer tis method over having to try to line up screw eyes which is a pain sometimes.