21xdc

3 in minnows

13 posts in this topic

I turned and painted these just for practice since they wont float with the hooks I want. :lol::pissed: w/o flash / w/flash

Edited by Spike-A-Pike
Site Rule 3 - please post photos in gallery

I turned and painted these just for practice since they wont float with the hooks I want. :lol::pissed:

Have you tried using smaller open screw eyes and putting the hooks directly on them and then closing the screw eye and just eliminating the split rings? Just add extra epoxy to the holes. And you certainly don't need a front split ring as there are several loop knots that you can use to tie line with that will leave action in the lure.

If you want to save a gram or two, twisted wire works just as well. Bit cheaper too, but a minor consideration.

Dave

I have seen guys use twisted wire... I'm not that confident in them compared to the threaded screweye.... Can someone please elaborate on the method used to make and install these? I would like a thinner smaller eyelet than the screweys give me. I need the thinnest, strongest wire that wont cut the line if tied direct, Or do I have to use a split ring?

Edited by 21xdc

I have seen guys use twisted wire... I'm not that confident in them compared to the threaded screweye.... Can someone please elaborate on the method used to make and install these? I would like a thinner smaller eyelet than the screweys give me. I need the thinnest, strongest wire that wont cut the line if tied direct, Or do I have to use a split ring?

this is a tutorial i made on how i do it:

Bass Fishing Forums - Twisted Wire Hinge Tutorial

i built a 3" spook out of 5/8 poplar dowel rod 3 half in ss screws tiny split rings and $4 owner st41 trebels and it floats just right with 3 #2 steel shot in the tail

maybe you need to change wood or go up to 5/8 dowel?

btw asome paint jobs

21xdc - Gee I like that stencil and those natural colours you have used. Great first up lures. pete

The dowels I bought from home depot float much better than the dowels I bought at the craft store... I can use any hook I want now. :)