WillHam

Question about the plastic molds

Hi, everyone I just wanted to ask a few questions about the plastic molds everyone keeps talking about. Are these molds just the plan ole' polyurethane molds or are there other, better types of plastic molds out there. Also, are there molds out there that allow one to create baits that are clear; for example is it possible for me to make baits much like you buy from the stores. Sorry if these are ignorant questions but I'm very new to this stuff.

Thanks, WillHam

WillHam, first of all welcome to the fray. There are many materials with which to make molds. The most popular are RTV Rubber, Plaster of Paris and Resin. There are some more exotic materials and of course the machined aluminum molds. All these molds allow you to make soft plastic lures of any color you can imagine including clear baits. This site is full of information on how to make molds and where to get them.

First off, thanks for the warm welcome and I plan on learning a lot from you knowledgable guys and gals. Thanks basseducer for the reply but what I was trying to say is that I'm looking at trying to make a hard bodied bait, such as a crankbait or swimbait. Are these type of hard plastic bodies made from the polyurethanes or what? Thats why I was wondering if you can make them clear like you buy in the stores and then paint them youself. Basically, what i'm asking is, if I have a wooden body carved out what can I use so that I don't have to "recarve" the bait over and over again.

Thanks, WillHam

If you are casting hard material, it would be best to make a soft mold (RTV), otherwise you may find your bait locked in. Especially when you forget to apply the release agent before pouring.

There are clear resins out there on the market, but the problem is that resin is heavier than water, so not practical for a lure. This is true for all resins, you have to add silicon microspheres to get the buoyancy. But then the cast is solid white.

The only possible solution that I can think of, is to half fill the mold with clear resin and spin the mold on a motorised frame, similar to a drying wheel, only a lot faster.

I did experiment this idea, turning the mold by hand, but had no success. I think 60rpm might do the trick. This would leave a hollow centre, restoring the buoyancy.

Dave