monsterfish

Pork trailers, how do I make them?

Years ago we butchered our own hogs and I had to  fight for the belly skin so I could make pork rinds for fishing.

The back and side hide was too tough to accurately cut.  The process itself is simple.  Chill the skin and fat to almost freezing.

It really helps to place the hide skin down on a baking sheet, cover it with wax paper weight it with something flat and put in freezer for a hour or two,

Sharpen your knife and a good fillet knife works well but I prefer a good butchers knife

Remove from freezer extract the pork side and place on cutting board and slice desired shapes. Trim fat to desired thickness.

I used a metal straight edge and cut isosceles triangles about 1/2 - 3/8 inches wide at base of triangle by 10 - 12 inches long. Also cut pork frogs and several mini sizes.  It is a good idea to use an ice pick  punch your hook hole before brining 

A brine solution 5 pounds of salt dissolved in a gallon of water usually done with boiling water to dissolve the salt quickly.

loosely  fill a gallon mason jar with your cut strips fill to rim with the brine solution store in a cool place and they seem to last forever.  Note standard ball jar lids will corrode making it almost impossible to open the jar. We had a bunch of the old glass lid jars with a clamp and rubber seals that worked well closest thing I can find now is at this site.  http://www.specialtybottle.com/swingtopbalejarsmi.aspx

to go fishing dredge out a hand full, place in a plastic bag and head to the lake, pond wherever. Can be colored with food coloring if desired. We used to keep them for a couple years sometimes longer,

• Like 2