borderbasser

question for those using PVC

Well, I went and bought some of this stuff today to make a swimbait out of and I love it. The question I have is, what type of glue is the strongest for a PVC to PVC bond...regurlar PVC glue, or epoxy? I am building most of my baits with the door type hinge and want the bond to be as strong as possible. Thanks guys.

TJ

i use 5 min. epoxy. regular pvc glue doesn't work very well.

jr

There is a special glue for pvc to pvc. Plumbers use it and it can be purchsed at Lowes in the plumbing dept.

Are you building PVC baits? Because the one I tried with the PVC cement didn't work. I tried the string method and it didn't stick to the string. It glued the two halves together just fine.........you can't beat that bond, but the string just slid right through.

If you can design your hinge so it can't pull out through the two halves, then PVC cement would be best. You'd have to make it with bends or holes that the PVC will bond to the other piece around because the cement isn't glue, it's a solvent that chemically welds the PVC to itself. It is not sticky.

Also, FYI, the pvc board doesn't hold screw eyes well.

I dont know what kind of pvc you are using, but the expanded pvc i use holds screw eyes so well that they will bend apart long before coming out. I made a test joint that held 100 lbs without any problem.

I was using the exterior molding stuff from HD/Lowes, not the sign board. I also tried the screw eyes right in the joint between the two halves. Didn't hold well at all, just pulled right out.

I just did a test on the ability of the stuff from Home Depot I have to hold screw eyes. Actually I don't use screweyes, but rather 1/8" and 3/32" cotter pins instead. I used a 3/32 cotter pin this time and prepared it with sandpaper. I also used a set of wire cutters to cut ridges down the length of the pin. I glued it in with Devcon 5min and I currently have a five gallon jug of water suspended from it with no problems. I can't imagine needing more strength than nearly fifty lbs. I can only imagine the screw eyes epoxied in would only be stronger. Next time I'm over at Home Depot, I will try to get the brand name of the stuff. Thanks for all the comments guys.

TJ