hazmail

Finding the centre of a blank

I recieved an email yesterday from 12spot (Dave) asking what I thought was, "how do you find the centre of a blank" - when what he was really asking was,"how do you centre the eyes on a lure". I went out into the 'Shed' and took a few pics and came back ready to email them to Dave, and just read the question again?????? So his loss (I posted my answer on eyes) is our gain.

Here is a few tools to get the centre of a blank, best if square and paralell, but the little 'spider' tool will also do EVEN tapers.

Vernier Calipers (everyone should have these), they will measure width/ depth to 1/10 of a millimetre- mine cost about $40, but you can buy them for half that, or a set of plastic ones for $8.

Verniercalipers.jpg[/img]

Dress Makers Gague- I bought this at an Amish quilt makers shop in Missouri when I was there in May (cost $3.50)- this will measure depth (lip slot) and length/width , and has a sliding stop, very handy little tool. Just be careful and check the measurements marked on the tool, you may have to file some off the end to make it accurate.

sewinggague.jpg[/img]

Or this 'Spider', which I made way back, because every stick of wood I cut was a different width. I cut 2 X 'U' sections from aluminium 'U Channel' - file them so the legs are exactly the same width, drill a small rivet hole dead centre, (this is where you really need Vernier Callipers) and rivet the legs together - salvage the broken anvil pin from rivet and sharpen on a grinder to a needle point and drive it back through the rivet as in pictures (this will be the 'scriber'). Straddle it over ANY width piece of wood (as long as it has parallel sides, or which has an even taper, drag it along the stick and you get a scribed centre line. If you are doing multiple lures, it's best to do it along the full length of the stick before cutting off to your desired length lure blanks.

centregague1.jpg[/img]

Centregague3.jpg[/img]

Centregague2.jpg[/img]

I put more time into these jigs etc, than I put into lures - Don't know which I enjoy more!!! Hope you can use something here. pete

Edited by hazmail
  • Like 1

@ hazmail

Pete , I like this "spider" of yours , very innovative device:yay: !

Personally , I gave up upon center measuring rectangular and even round blanks for a long time now , thank God my eyeballing abilities to draw pencil center lines are quite sufficient for the job !

Greetz , Dieter

i bought a plastic tool called... believe it or not... a center finder. it's a clear piece of tinted yellow acrylic sheet about 6'' by 7''. i can center round, oval, square, rectangle and hex with it. cost me 3.99 at the hardware store. takes about 5 seconds and the center is marked. google it:popcorn:

as far as horizontal? thanks pete, awsome tip.

eyes, i just drill a tiny hole through the blank and turn it after.

Edited by b1gf1sh1

Thanks all, it's just so time consuming finding centres, especially when you have started to make a lure, and forget to do it. Like I said, if you do it in a stick, it saves heaps of time and you only have to remember it once (this is becoming a real problem lately). I just hope it works for you!!

Sometimes I think I must be really bored to fiddle with this stuff - sometimes they work some times they don't.pete

i didn't get mine at rockler but this is the center finder tool i'm talking about.... :popcorn:Details for Stock Center Finder - Rockler Woodworking Tools

really... it takes only five seconds and you are dead center on basicly anything but triangles. it doesn't say it but on my info sheet when i bought it i could have sworn it said oval's too. need never arose yet so i never did it. one of the handiest tools i own for turning.

I know this is an old thread, but it got me thinking. Most of my lures are turned on lathe. I mark where the eyes are going while the blank is still turning on the lathe. This helps in keeping the eyes somewhat aligned. But even then, I still just eyeball it when i actually drill the blank to put in the molded eyes. My reasoning is that, I don't really think that the fish are going to mind if my lures are cross eyed. Now, having said that. I start having my doubts.

One thing is for certain, I think that it is more "aesthetically" pleasing to the eye if the eyes are symmetrical.