mossman

Lookin' for a "recipe"

Hey fellers, I need some advice or opinions. I have a request to make a bait that resembles a smelt. The size is to be similar to a Rapala 13 to 18. This bait will be used for lake Huron walleye surf fishing. This bait will need to cast long into the wind and dive only 2 -3 feet. Do I use balsa with alot of lead or a harder (more dense) wood? For the long cast, lots of weight up front or distribute to the tail? All of the baits I make are sandwich type, through wire construct; primarily balsa, basswood and poplar. Thanks in advance. I've observed this site for almost a year now and have been sucessful in making about 100 actual, fish catchin' lures. I'm getting many requests for custom baits. Greatest hobby ever. Thanks again.

Mossman...First welcome to the site,I'm glad you joined in!!

Now your question..I would go with a dense wood such as Bass,cedar or even pine.The extra weight will benefit you in casting.As for weight placement....I'd place the majority of the weight towards the back of the lure.This will reduce tumbling...Nathan

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will use pine and I'm considering a weight transfer device inside the bait that weights the tail on the cast and goes to the belly on retrieve. I'm very reluctant to ask this question, But.... Has anybody ever used mercury as a bait weight? Please be kind...I'm not a moron, just brainstorming.

Mossman,

I cut a channel for the bearing. Besure when cutting your channel it dosen't interfer with the placement of your eyescrews.Before I epoxy my lure halves back together,I will give the channel a coat of epoxy...then set it aside to dry. Then when I epoxy the halves together..BECAREFUL NOT TO GET ANYMORE EPOXY IN THE CHANNEL...or you'll have a bearing glued in one place!!...The reason for the epoxy in the channel lets the bearing roll easier,and it adds a little more noise..Nathan