bassky

Primer White for Balsa?

What kind of white primer should I use for unpainted balsa crankbaits and how should I apply it? I paint with waterbase acrylic paints and I have some clear plastic baits also. What kind of white primer to use on these too? Maybe some advice on an item I can pick up locally?

Thanks,

Bassky

What kind of white primer should I use for unpainted balsa crankbaits and how should I apply it? I paint with waterbase acrylic paints and I have some clear plastic baits also. What kind of white primer to use on these too? Maybe some advice on an item I can pick up locally?

Thanks,

Bassky

You need to seal the lures before you prime them. There are a number of things you can seal them with: propionate, epoxy, etc. But if you don't seal them and just try to prime them you are going to raise the grain and have sloppy looking lures that won't be durable. Just use the search function and try some combination of "seal/ing" and "balsa".

Lacquer, but that is because I seal and clear with propionate, and its compatible. I don't use waterbase acrylic paints, so I don't know what primers are compatible with them. I would assume that if you scuffed up whatever you sealed your lure with, or scuffed up a plastic lure you are repainting and hit it with white acrylic paint, that would be fine. When you go using different types of paint for different layers the only way to know how they will interact is to test them. Stick with the same type of paint and you should be fine, but like I said before you need to seal balsa before you paint it.

Edited by SmokeyJ

Thanks,

Bassky

I first seal my wood baits with Deft Lacquer Sealer. When dry I dip in Rust-Oleum Flat White Enamel. I then paint with water-based paints and after 24 hrs. finish with clear epoxy.

Hope this helps.

ipock2

http://topfishingplace.com' rel="external nofollow">

Edited by Spike-A-Pike
Signature Rule Violation

After sealing balsa, or other wood baits, I just spray on a coat of Createx opaque white as a base coat. Knock on wood, I haven't had a problem yet. Also use the opaque white on plastic re-paints. One coat is all it takes. Just be sure to heat set it well.

David

This is what I was getting at. If you paint with createx paints and basecoat with a createx paint then you know they are compatible. If you start mixing enamels and lacquers and acrylics you'll have no idea how they will react unless you test it. They may work fine together, but then again they may not.