.dsaavedra.

epoxy on lips

I want epoxy along the margin of the lip where it joins the bait. I hold the bait by the lip with locking forceps to help me manipulate it and do a neat job. You can remove stray epoxy before it cures with either naphta or denatured alcohol without clouding the lip.

I purposely encapsulate my crank lips with epoxy (in close proximity to the bait that is). However, I use balsa for my cranks and the area in which the lip is attached has constant strain. I typically don't worry too much about a little bit of epoxy getting away from me on the lip. It's clear and the fish don't seem to mind. However, fingerprinted epoxy is a different story.

when putting the top coat on, how do you not get epoxy on the lip of a crankbait?

A. By using a moisture cure urethane such as Dicknite's topcoat, or spraying with an high-grade automotive urethane clear and masking. However, if you use an epoxy clear, the best way is to install your lip after clearcoating the bait.