Zib

Dye for dying Bucktails

Some of the hide tanning sites may be better suited in providing the actual procedure you're looking for. You can't just cut the deer tail, dip it in dye, and get a perfect colored deer tail.

The tail has to be skinned, then it's tanned, then dyed, and sold. The reason the cost of individual deer tails is pretty reasonable and maybe not as reflective of the cost as it sounds is because the entire hide goes through the tanning process before the tail is later cut off and dyed.

Tight lines

I dyed a bunch of bucktails and even skunktails already this year. You shouldn't have to tan them, I never have. Heck, I don't even debone the tails, I just cut them off, bone, flesh and all. Just salt the base for a day or so.

As far as dyes, the laundry section in Walmart, or Walgreens, or pretty much any supermarket will have RIT dye. It has some basic colors. There are some directions on the box, but you have to adjust a little for your particular purpose. I put the tails in with a cup or two of salt and a dash or two of white vinegar into a big metal something-or-other (I don't know what it's called. I've seen people cook turkeys in them in the oven. I found it at the flea market for .50 just for this reason) Pour in the dye and the water and heat it up to a low boil or simmer for an hour or so. Stir it occasionally, maybe two times an hour. When you're done, rinse it in cold water to get off the excess dye, otherwise it gets all over your hands and whatever your hands touch, and it STAINS.

I save the old dye in milk cartons, cuz it's still good for another round, why waste?

RIT dyes are basic colors. If you want more, try Jacquard dyes. I haven't used them yet, but hope to get around to it this winter.

Hope this helps!

Alex

PS Don't do this inside! :eek:

I did at least 500 tails last year, most for me but some for tackle shops to sell use also. if you are just doing a few for your purpose, the rit is OK to use.

I have used Jacquard acid dye also. My Dad used that all the time when he did it with good results. He passed away and I took over the business, and now I am using a what I think is a better dye. I use a company called Pylam products. They make what I think is the brightest colors on the market, and the color last longer in the water. It is a little on the salty side for price, but when selling and trying to keep a reputation, I went for the better dye.

If just doing for yourself and only a few tails, the rit is the way to go IMO.

I buy my tails already dried, but with the price jump I have seen this year, I may be doing some myself. Here are to links to check out from another forum, skip some of the post to get to the one with the good info. One even has the way to use Rit dye. I suggest not taking your water to boiling, you can end up with hair soup really fast. I keep the water between 180 and 190, use an outdoor turkey fryer set up and do 10-30 tails at a time. Hope this helps.

Bucktail Preperation? - SurfTalk

Dyeing Bucktail Hair - SurfTalk

Winter Project - Processing Bucktails - SurfTalk