finlander

"clear" mahogany?

I bought a piece of it-1"x2"x4' and it wasnt pricey, 3 or 4 dollars from a local store. All it says on the packaging is clear mahogany. What might it be? How difficult is mahogany to work with, as I usually use cedar? It was a quick decision, saw it, bought it. Want to make a few large cranks from it. and want to use screw eyes. Thanks.

I bought a piece of it-1"x2"x4' and it wasnt pricey, 3 or 4 dollars from a local store. All it says on the packaging is clear mahogany. What might it be? How difficult is mahogany to work with, as I usually use cedar? It was a quick decision, saw it, bought it. Want to make a few large cranks from it. and want to use screw eyes. Thanks.

if its honduras mahogany you have a fine piece of wood. it holds paint well. turns like butter and screws are never a problem. just make sure you seal it well.

But how do i know if it is Honduran?? There is alot for sale on Ebay. Mine doesnt look as dark as those. Local luremaker has bought a stick too but it frayed, didnt sand well. He loves cedar for his, mahogany is too heavy for his tastes. How do I know where it originated???:?

normally honduras is pattern grade. its much more reddish. what we do is purchase from a mill. that way you see what you are buying. theres different grades in mahogany. the door jamb stuff in my opinion is not dense enough in what we need. cedar is basiclly the same grain and weights.. years back loke lures used the honduras now i know they have changed grades.. actually honduras in canada is approx 85 bucks for a 2by 6 by 8 ft., when it available.