kbt

Need help with swimbait top coat..

I have been looking through the site but have not found an answer to my question:( I have bought a couple of the the new 4" Spro BBZ-1 Shad swimbaits. I want to repaint them. I use createx paint and top off with Devcon 2 Ton. These baits have a flexable plastic tail section and my question is what I can use on that section to preserve the paint? Thanks!!!

No paint will stay on soft plastic, except for soft plastic paint. Forget about a topcoat, you're wasting your time if you paint it. If you do paint it, either the paint is going to fall off or you're going to make the tail rigid.

Lurecraft sells the soft plastic paint, don't really know anything about it, but it actually dyes the plastic so you don't need a topcoat.

Thanks CJ. I checked the lurecraft site and found the Poly-sil paint for soft plastic. They have a clear paint. The discription says it can be brushed sprayed or dipped. I wonder if It would cover createx paint? I am pretty new at this so I don't know how it would react. I may just buy a bottle of paint and catalyst to try it out. Thanks!

Createx won't stick to the soft plastic. I've tried it. I think that the clear "paint" that poly-sil makes is just a paint medium without a pigment added for possibly creating custom colors using your own dyes or maybe even diluting one of the other paints to a transparent color . I am not sure what dyes would work though. I am fixing to order some myself in the near future and intend on using the clear for adding in powder hi-lite to be sprayed over the painted bait for an irradescent effect. It could be used as a clearcoat over the soft plastic, but I just don't see the point. The paint supposedly does not wash or rub off which is really the point of clearcoating anyway. Just my:twocents:.

TJ

I was thinking of using the clear because I got ahead of myself. I had allready painted the bait using createx paints. I went ahead and finished the front 3 sections with devcon. I was looking to find some kind of top coat for the rear section to keep the paint from washing off. The tail and top fin is flexable.... Could I coat it with devcon? I have not fished this bait so I don't know if the flexable tail fin is necessary? Just looking for an option so I don't have to invest alot of money in another type of paint.

IMG_3474_1.JPG

IMG_3474_1.JPG

IMG_3474_1.JPG

IMG_3474_1.JPG

IMG_3474_1.JPG

IMG_3474_1.JPG

IMG_3474_1.JPG

IMG_3474_1.JPG

3910_thumb.attach

I think I have a better idea of what you are dealing with now. The fins are probably the same material that the small fins on the BBZ1 are made out of...not soft plastic. I think that you could probably go ahead and clear it with epoxy. A more flexible epoxy like etex would probably be better. If it was me, I would just put a very light coat on the fins...just enough to keep the paint from rubbing off. You will lose some of the flexibility I'm sure, but it won't matter on that bait. Dick Nites might actually be a better clear coat for what you are doing especially if it is sprayed.

On a side note, If you don't mind sharing, I'd like to know what colors you painted this bait with...especially the blue and the yellow stripe. I have a bait that I am making that is very similar to this one and I think that that color is very nice. PM me if you rather. thanks.

TJ

Thanks for the info TJ!! It is the same material as the large BBZ1. I have not tried etex or DN. I have tried in the past to order DN from the ad on the top of the site but I can not send the e-mail? I would really like to try it. I know there is a lot of info on etex but where do you get it? Thanks for your help. I will get you the paint info soon. Thanks again!!

The scale pattern is painted with Faskolor Faschange blue over gray. The stripe is pearl copper. Black back. I purchased some etex over the week end but have bee to busy to apply it. Just want to say thanks to every one. What a great site:)

KBT

You can of course Google Envirotex-Lite, and shop online for it, and many hobby and craft stores carry it. Ace Hardware carries it also, and if they don't stock in your particular store, they can order it in for you from their warehouse, and it will be there on their next weekly truck run--I mention Ace because they have by far the best every day price. I think Michael's was about the same after applying a 40% single item discout coupon.

Dicknite's topcoat is much easier to use around hinges than epoxy, because Dicknite's stays where you put it; which also makes it much better for the sharp edges found on most swimbaits, where it is most difficult to get epoxy to stay, or maintain any practical thickness.

Dean

I found the Evirotex lite spray online...Can this be applied successfully to a bait like an 8" tripple trout, or is it better to dipp the bait and hang dry for a more even coat...?

Apologies to 6thSense Lures, he actually went out of his way to give me some good advise I didn't understand at the time. He also makes smashing custom finishes on most baits c6"s. Check it out.