lmcat

Air Brush Over Powder

Hi guys, Take it easy on the new guy!!! I have been reading quite a while now, and this is far and away the best and most informative site there is. I have learned so much I can't imagine how long trial and error would have taken. A little history, been making mostly jigs tied with everything from hair, rubber, craft fur to mothers knitting yarn and all types spinner baits. Pour all my heads. My first question is. I use mostly powder paint and am in good shape up to two colors but have problems with three. I am attempting to use createx (not cut) to spray over the cured powder paint. I have two air brushes and get the same results, paint splatters and will not level out no matter how low I drop pressure on brush. Can you just not spray over powder ??? Sorry so long

Imcat,

The answer to your question is, yes you can! I also use Createx, straight out of the bottle, never have to thin it. Because a spinnerbait head is so small of an object to paint, you have to make some adjustments.

I spray using 15psi air pressure, with the fluid control on the airbrush almost in the off position. The nozzel of the airbrush has to be close to the bait, about an inch or so away from it. A spray pattern is cone shaped, the farther from the tip of the gun, the wider it gets.

You want your paint atomized as it leaves the airbrush, or it will just hit the powder painted surface and slide everywhere. It takes alot of practice to get the feel for what you are doing, but don't give up as the results can be worth the hassle.

Hope this helps you.

By far not my best work:

MKomo_jigs_004-250x185.jpg

Picture sucks but you get the idea.

I have put stripes(firetiger) over powder then clearcoated them.

If you cure them in an oven,be careful.I personally dont like to because the paint changes color and blends too much.I use CS waterbased clear coat.

Edited by yankee jigger
because im special

Hi guys, Take it easy on the new guy!!! I have been reading quite a while now, and this is far and away the best and most informative site there is. I have learned so much I can't imagine how long trial and error would have taken. A little history, been making mostly jigs tied with everything from hair, rubber, craft fur to mothers knitting yarn and all types spinner baits. Pour all my heads. My first question is. I use mostly powder paint and am in good shape up to two colors but have problems with three. I am attempting to use createx (not cut) to spray over the cured powder paint. I have two air brushes and get the same results, paint splatters and will not level out no matter how low I drop pressure on brush. Can you just not spray over powder ??? Sorry so long

You received excellent advice from two of the members above. Although I do have an air brush, I am not to that stage yet. However, I do a lot of powder painting, and if you want to learn how to do multiple colors with powder paint, PM me your e-mail and I will send you my tutorial...........

As promised,here are some pictures of air brush over powder.

Disclaimer:Ive had some really crappy weeks at work and i got drunk yesterday before i painted these.:tipsy:

ultraminnow002.jpg

ultraminnow001.jpg

The above were done in about 45 minutes using Createx Paints,an Iwata HP-C airbrush,and 4 pitchers of Miller Lite.

The powder i used was a paint that Cadman sent to me.It was a textured beige and the airbrush paint sticks like flys on a ribroast.I have and still do use an airbrush on CS powder paints.Its really a viscosity/pressure game that you have to trial and error.I have literally hundreds of trials and errors.

Any questions,just shoot away.

YJ, man I like the color choices. It reminds me so much of all the colors I would be using in the local rivers in IL and WI. Are all those exterior colors std Createx paints, straight from the bottle? I do believe the Createx would stick really well to the textured paint, reason being the grainy texture in the powder paint. Wow your trial and error has given me some ideas for the future. Don't feel bad about trial and error. You wouldn't believe how much money I've spent and time I've spent mixing powder, painting, and then tossing it in the can when it doesn't come out right. Then start all over again. But that's how we all learn. The nice thing now, we can share this with others. If you ever need any more textured powder paint, it's listed in the Classifieds as free to everyone, except for shipping. BTW Happy Thankgiving.

Edited by cadman

Ted

The colors are straight out of the bottle Createx flourescent.As far as the color choices,yep really good on the Illinois and with the clarity of the Kankakee River,im sure tommorrow should put out.

Those ultra jigs are going to be used as the dropper weight when i pull 3 ways up river.I know the spot im going to puts out walleyes up to 12 lbs. every year and thats what im going for.

Checks going in the mail today.

We need together this winter.Ill haul my airbrushes up north and learn you a couple things.

We also need to talk about a bulk order on those Ultra Jigs.

Happy Thanksgiving

Brian

Yankee Jigger,

First, I would like to say this is a great site because of the unselfish information shared by poster such as yourself, cadman and others who enjoy fishing and customizing their lures.

I have always poured my own lead heads and in the past use powder paints. I wanted to make my jigs look more custom so I got an airbrush. After reading related posts I think I will be using Createx paints over a white base coat. I like really the colors on the ultra minnows that you posted. My question are: would I get similar results if I used Protec powder paint white as a base coat? What other types of createx paints do you use such as opaque, transparent, etc. And what type of clear coat do you use?

thx.

Edited by soonyee

Protec powder has too smooth of a surface.I have done it but your pressure and viscosity better be right on.

I for the most part use createx base white either sprayed or dipped.Cadman sent me some textured white which works graet also.

Ill use createx flourescents,and also Golden Airbrush paints.

Clear coat????? Component Systems clear coat is what i use.

Yankee Jigger,

First, I would like to say this is a great site because of the unselfish information shared by poster such as yourself, cadman and others who enjoy fishing and customizing their lures.

I have always poured my own lead heads and in the past use powder paints. I wanted to make my jigs look more custom so I got an airbrush. After reading related posts I think I will be using Createx paints over a white base coat. I like really the colors on the ultra minnows that you posted. My question are: would I get similar results if I used Protec powder paint white as a base coat? What other types of createx paints do you use such as opaque, transparent, etc. And what type of clear coat do you use?

thx.

Soonyee,

Everyone that I know on this forum is more than willing to help newbies out. You come in heart in hand and these guys will give you all the info you need. As far as the powder paint Yankee Jigger used that he got from me, here is the info on it. http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/classified-ads/15083-free-textured-powder-paint.html. This powder is free except for the shipping. This link is from the Classified adds Forum on TU page 3. If you want some sign up and PM me. We can discuss the details