Thad

Safe spray booth?

I'm moving in the next couple weeks and need advice to keep my spraying safe. I have basically been spraying outside, setting up at the garage door with it open. Anyways I'm now moving to an apartment and will have a room setup just for painting.

For the most part I am spraying HOK paints. What are your suggestions for keeping it safe.

I will be setting up in front of a window that is level with my table. I guess I need to build some kind of booth and get a fan to go in front of the window. I was just reading a few posts and now I'm worried about a fire, so what fan do I have to get?

You need a fan that will move a lot of air. Then you need a way to keep the paint from drying on the fan blades. Either by making sure it's dry before it gets there or with filters. Then you need to make sure you have enough air movement.........you don't want that stuff in your lungs. The solvents are obviously bad but you don't want the paint particles in your lungs. I based my booth on this one...........but I had to put filters in because the dick nite's was not even coming close to drying before it got to the fan.

Building a Spray Paint Booth for painting fish carvings.

If the fan moves enough air, you won't have to worry about fire because the concentrations can't get high enough to light off.

Edited by clamboni

Ok, after spending the evening reading I guess I need some kind of furnace fan? Where would I get one of these? I've looked on the internet but can't seem to find one. Also if I was to use 6" tubing and the tubing was about 6 feet what rating should the fan have?

Thanks

I use a oven range hood. I built 3 sides around with plywood at a height I can adj with wing nuts. It can only suck from the front. Vents upward into a furnace vent and then into a 6-8 in flex hose with another furnace vent going into the plywood cut to fit the window but small enough to use pipe insulation foam with a split in it. I wrapped the foam around the edges so its a tight fit. The great thing about doing this is it has lights underneath with different fan speeds and light settings. I pour lead and paint with this set up. I do this in my basement. The filters catch the paint and need cleaning now and then. I use water based acrylic paints though.

Edited by 21xdc

Thad, I spray all urethane automotive paints to stay in a system. I use two part epoxy primer, urethane base coats from hok and a bunch of others with DuPont Clearcoat. I attached photos of my first booth an Artograph (with my friend not wearing a respirator) This booth worked ok for priming, good for the basecoats, and it fell on its face bad with automotive clear. The auto clear would plug up the pre filter after 5 or 6 Muskie size lures. I bought a forced air respirator that worked awesome with the clear coating for my health, but it did not help overspray in my garage. The second picture is of my new booth. It came from JC Metal Fab in the middle of Michigan. I found them first on e bay and watched for months until I saw they came out with a smaller 36" wide unit. They said they would custom build and I asked if they would make with the spray area only 18" deep instead of 24" for an overall depth of 36", and build it with out legs to be a bench top unit. They were awesome to deal with, they lowered the price for the custom changes and I had it in one week. It is OSHA approved and safe for solvent based paints. It has a large filter system that works very well. The blower on top can be mounted outside for a permanant location and less noise although it is belt driven and not loud at all. I would never shoot solvent base systems through fans or blowers with an exposed motor it is asking for big trouble. I really like this booth a lot and every bit of overspray is gone, you can not see anything roll back out of the booth at all even when clearing. I added the wood to the face so I could put air brushholders there and I put sealed lights behind the lip. I pulled the screen out of my window and made a piece of plywood to fit in the screen recess. I hope this is helpful, it made my painting way more fun. The contact information for them is 231-832-3551. I believe the names of the Father and son were John and Andy.

DSC_0119_resize.jpg

DSC_1287_resize.jpg

DSC_0119_resize.jpg

DSC_1287_resize.jpg

DSC_0119_resize.jpg

DSC_1287_resize.jpg

DSC_0119_resize.jpg

DSC_1287_resize.jpg

DSC_0119_resize.jpg

DSC_1287_resize.jpg

DSC_0119_resize.jpg

DSC_1287_resize.jpg

DSC_0119_resize.jpg

DSC_1287_resize.jpg

DSC_0119_resize.jpg

DSC_1287_resize.jpg

3911_thumb.attach

3912_thumb.attach

Thad, the booth was $595.00 and a case of filters was $65.00 for I think it was 100 in a case, however I am still on the one that came with it. I thought the price was great compared to Paasche and even the Artograpgh is aournd $325.00. The motor is 3/4 horse and with the 12" axial fan housing the motor assembly was pretty heavy for shipping. The unit is really well built, they build commercial powder coat booths, ovens, and spray booths and use the same materials on the small ones. The owner told me they started making the small ones to keep the shop busy between the larger jobs. I do not know them other than when I placed the order, just very happy with the unit.