hazmail

Rear Lips

@ hazmail

Hi , Pete ,

When I first saw this lure in a catalog some years ago , I have wondered about the purpose of that rear fin :huh:?

It can't cause the lure to dive , since its not adjustable nor having an downward angle(like a "Suick") .

So , when I finally got myself internet access almost one year ago , it was one of the first things that I googled for and I found this :

River Run Muskie Fishing Tackle and Musky Baits and Northern Pike Lures

When watching that unbelievable gliding action in the video there , it suddenly was clear to me , what that rear lip is for(in my personal theory , lol:lol:) !

It stabilizes the lure against sideward roll on every jerk , which would use up a part of the energy of a jerk , instead of putting all of that force into a forward movement .

Thus it also acts like a guide fin , it just helps the lure to keep level swimming position , not only balanced by its belly weights .

greetz , Dieter

The extreme curvature along the back of the lure is acting like the curved surface of an aircraft wing, giving the body lift. This causes the lure to point down and dive.

Good solution Pete.

I experimented with a body with the curvature on the bottom. The same thing happened in reverse. It just hit the surface and stayed there.

Dave

@ FishPA

Hahaha , certainly the merits are not on myself , but Pete , for sure:yes: !

But thanks for your input about the rear lip shapes and the picture of your lure , anyway;) .

I can truly say , that being inspired by Pete and his thread here , it really urges me to get my lathe turning ...........but "unfortunately" I am currently working on assembling and afterwards painting a bunch of about 20 wooden baits , and I just can't afford having any wood dust in my little workshop right now(at least not blown around , the sediment on the floor shouldn't matter:huh::o !)

Also got another idea idling around my mind , since I am involved into this thread............how about putting such a fin at the head of a jerkbait ?

Made of metal , with a rounded slot as a linetie at its tip .

Made some brief sketches at my work today , but just can't have my lathe working right now...........:(!

Greetz , diemai

Edited by diemai
text addition

Pete if you lurk around on some of the musky sites these rear lipped baits are out there. I own a few Mantas just like in the video and few others that work well. I myself have thought I made a brake through in lure building only to find that it was already done 50 years ago. go figure.......