Mags

Chartreuse Shad

I want to paint a chartreuse shad similar to the Lucky Craft. It looks like a super light dusting of blue covers pearl, giving the bait almost a blue glow. Anyone have a specific paint they have used for this color? I was thinking of a Flair Chameleon Auto Air, but the price is ridiculous ($28.29 for 4 ounces). Thanks.

I want to paint a chartreuse shad similar to the Lucky Craft. It looks like a super light dusting of blue covers pearl, giving the bait almost a blue glow. Anyone have a specific paint they have used for this color? I was thinking of a Flair Chameleon Auto Air, but the price is ridiculous ($28.29 for 4 ounces). Thanks.

Funny you ask, I'm painting a bunch right now. Actually, Autoair isn't even the right color, though it will get you close. The pigment is actually a pearl called Paliocrom blue from BASF. If you really want to match it exactly, you need to find a BASF auto paint distributor, and they might have some. If I remember correctly, it goes for $600/pound. :eek:

Thanks for the info. Too much money to make it worth it for my needs. I like the blue glow, but the fish may not care that much. I can get close by adding tiny blue polyester flake to the clear coat.

How about mixing this with the pearl? It should shoot through the gun.

http://www.del-mart.com/shop/product.php?productid=16582&cat=298&page=1

Edited by Mags

Just spray a light grey scaled pattern on the back and use a blue pearl over it. turns out fine. you can go to any automotive paint store and buy the pearl. You can get it solid or they will mix it in the clear for you. At least the store i deal with does. hope this helps. also the candy yellow is almost perfect for the stripe down the side.

Kandy bass is right. Spray the light grey scales then Blue glimmer sold by Wasco for about $9 for 8 oz. Done deal! :yay:

Just wondering for when I run out of the Paliocrom pigment. Is that Wasco EXACT, I mean EXACT face on and on an angle, or just close? One can demand alot of $$$ for an EXACT Lucky Craft repro, or any other pearls like that. Close doesn't matter to some. I'd sure like a cheaper way to match it.