Riverrat

A few things that make me laugh?

I would just like to share a few things that make me laugh everytime I hear or see them.

I will start off with this whole drop shot craze. Every mag,book or website that I see that says this is a technique that started in Japan on highly pressured waters. I now the western boys have been doing this for a while. But Japan, give me a break. I am 30 years old been fishing since I was in diapers. One of the first things I remember learning from Dad was what he called the Yankee rig. It was a bank sinker on the end of the line with a #2 trout hook tied on 12" up the line, add a fresh traped shiner and bingo. I have seen more walleye and Smallmouth fall to this setup than I could count. I'm not saying dad invented this, but it sure as hell was not Japan.

Second, what is going on with all these overseas baits. New company pops up puts out a few baits that are hard to get and then charge an arm and leg. I am not saying I have not bought a few baits but damn. We as consumers let this happen. 20-30 dollar cranks. UP yours I say. "HOT NEW BAITS FROM JAPAN" It seems like they are driving and steering our sport. Maybe it's just me but seems screwed up.

Buy local and keep the money at home. God bless all the fisherman!

@ Riverrat

Over here in Germany is also a craze around about drop shot fishing for a few years now , we have even generated our own term from English for it , which I'm not sure about , wether it exists in English language at all .

We call it "Dropshotting" !

But at least you don't read anywhere , that it was of Japanese origin , but purely American !

If I browse through the local sites and magazines , those modern high end Japanese crankbaits are also getting a lot of promotion over here , you sometimes might get the impression , that you would not catch fish anymore without these tied to your line !

Well , I won't spent 25

Same here Daemai, $18 -$35 each (for 2-3"), last time I looked, they had them all in a locked display case??

I must say the finish is usually second to none, but I don't know about their durability though. This is how they have taken over the car industry, and anything else - attention to detail.pete

My point about dropshotting and overpriced baits is not about Japan. My point was that this type of fishing and many other rigs were around way before they were cool and new on TV or the Internet, being pushed by big companys American or overseas. Sorry about the spelling on "drop shot" last post. Can't type well I have stubby fingers. Maybe it came across wrong.

Also I would not "spent" 20 to 30 bucks on any bait, US or overseas.

The simple black worm comment nails what I was trying to say perfectly.

Edited by Riverrat

@ Riverrat

Also certainly don't mean to talk bad about Japan or the Japanese , but its a fact , that the baits coming from there are so darn expensive in the shops , for whatsoever reasons !

But it's true , that one shouldn't trust on the term "brandnew" on things promoted by the tackle industry .

In particular I can think of a minnow crankbait , that came out a few years ago , made by "NilsMaster"/Finland .

It doesn't have a diving bill , but a large hole leading through it's head causing it to dive and wiggle .

They have called this a new design , and maybe they didn't know it better , but in a lure collectors book I have found an old vintage American wood lure employing the same principle , even having a similar curvature of body .

And I also agree with the "black worm post" saying it all:yes: !

And I guess , you've got me wrong about the "dropshotting" , I didn't mean to critizise your spelling , how can I , as English is not my mother language :nuhuh:????

I only meant to say , that the term "dropshotting" might not exist in English language , its one of those terms in "new German language" , that appears to be taken over from English , but only sounds that way , but does not really exist in English language !

Such is a fashion nowadays over here , and especially the old folks got a problem with it in their everyday lives .

Or do you know , what a "Handy" is , or a "Service Point" :huh:?

Well , it means as much as "cell phone/mobile phone" and "information counter" .

Alright , I'm getting off the subject , just sorry about the misunderstanding........:o:)!

greetz , diemai

Edited by diemai
editing text

Very sorry Riverrat, but what makes me laugh (or wince) is those people who say they would not pay $20 for a bait. I guess there are very few hand mades (other that your own) in your tackle box.

But I guess that is OK, after all, this is a tackle MAKING forum and not a sales forum. I suppose I should use one of those smiley thingies, just to demonstrate my emotional state :lol:.

Dave

@ Vodkaman

Hi Dave

You may still laugh or wince at people like me , for myself , I don't mind a bit:nuhuh: :)!

I refered to commercial lures , and I know , that many homemades are a lot more worth than that(maybe not my own:huh: :??) .

But why pay for something , that I could make by myself and even have great enjoyment doing it ?

And I do have quite a few homemades from different luremakers , we have just swapped them .

Greetz , Dieter

Ive paid 80bucks on a lure once and I will do it again. If thats what I want then thats what I want. It was more for my collection but musky baits start at around 20 bucks and I have thousands of dollars invested in lures but fish with just a few. I blame it on the sickness,musky fever. Thats one reason I started making lures the cost of store bought lures was high when the cash flow wasnt 15 or 20 years ago.

I agree with Jamie and Dave. When I want it, I will buy it. I may never fish it, but I will drop $100.00 on a bait in a second if the craftsmanship is there or it means something to me. Obviously a guy cant do this everyday, so they are something special when you get them. But then again special doesnt have to be expensive either. I have a rapidly expanding collection of plastic baits going on my shelves in my shop and they are special also. It all depends on whats important to you. We are all different and all want something different out of this hobbie and out of life itself.

You nailed it Pete - attention to detail! So important these days. First you have to catch the fisherman, and hope it works on the fish as well. What ever happened to the 'black plastic worm'?

Both of You nailed it .. At one time there was only the "Red Worm" 3 hooks and a spinner ... then the black worm .. then the blue worm and then the purple (& another shade Grape) and these are the colors I still use most of the time ... but the others do sell & catch fish .. makes us "Plastic Pourers" go nuts trying to keep up with them.

Great Thread !!!!

Makes You Look And Think !!

JSC

:)

I once paid 20.00 plus freight for a Lure Box ..!!!!!!!!!

Edited by JSC
added note

I understand every single one of you. I too have paid more than I should have for a lure. At the same time, I've spent more than I should have to "make" a lure...lol.. But not to change the subject or anything, but things make me laugh, now let me tell you what makes me cry. When I was younger, (20 years or so ago), I had a dream. I was going to be a professional fisherman. At the time, it wasn't so far fetched. But as the years went by, I noticed a trend, a money trend. There was a time when a man could buy a boat, save a little "tourny" money, and with a little skill and lots of luck, could win his way up and compete with the big boys. Not that simple anymore. In some cases, you have to pay upwards of $500 a year just to be eligible to pay a few hundred more in tournament entry fees. In other cases, your boat can't be more than 2 years old and has to be "wrapped" also. Now you can still enter your local tourny's for a small fee, but if you win, you just win a little extra money. You don't go anywhere but home. A guy told me a while back that it cost him around $75,000 a year just to compete at a higher level. Now for me, that's a lot of workin, which leaves no time for fishin. There's even some cases of $20 dock fees, on public water!! I'm sorry to go off on a rant, but the days of "fishin" your way to the top seem to be over, that is, unless you have mucho deniro, or a rich uncle. Too bad people have taken a "sport" of the common man and turned it into a "hobby" of the money man. Well that's enough venting...lol.....I hope I didn't offend anyone, if I did, I apologize.

Jay

It has been interesting for sure. I do think it is a little more complicated however.

Drop shotting has been around for a long time. Called different things by many people. I think the important concept is to take a step back and look at some history. How long ago was it and when you said bass fishing you essentially were talking about the South. No where else mattered, tourneys were all held south and methods used in these regions dominated. Yanks fished for cold water fish, westerners fished for trout and well those fish don't matter to bass guys. Things changed slowly and in doing so brought "new" techniques to bass fishing in the South that managed to correspond to an explosion of trophy bass fishing to the west and probably one of the largest surges of trophy smallie fishing in the North that had been observed. Of course BASS decided to capitalize and push in those regions and expand the popularity. In doing so you added an entire new demographic to the "poor" southern bass angler and prices started to follow.

Another important thing occured that had nothing to do with fishing. Baby Boomers as a whole had become wealthy based on strong economy, trade, new technologies, pension plans (what's that), etc.. and gained a way of life never observed before. Bottom line times were good and they had the money to spend and companies were there with open arms. Goods were priced for those guys not the generation before or the one that followed. So when guys with fat wallets (with at the time guaranteed things like pensions, social security, etc. for the future) hittting midlife during a fishing boom guess what happens? The get into fishing and they have an entire different idea of what is expensive that continues to drive prices today.

Travis that pretty well sums up in general what I have seen over my LONG career in the Fishing Tackle Sales Market ... Which basicly started when I was in High School ...

Things have changed, but some are basicly the same ...

As I said before this is a good thread.

JSC

:)

Very interesting statements and opinions for an European guy :yes:!

Not so many fishing tournaments are held in Europe , in Germany they are even considered illegal , if the fish are only caught out of competative reasons and after even released .

Our animal welfare law says , that no animal should be harmed for lower reasons , and catching fish for fun or competition is considered a lower reason by the federal authorities !

Only smaller local fishing club tournaments are still held here with about 6 to 40 members , if I hazard a guess , most likely targeting non-predatory fish , and all the fish MUST be taken home , and if it's only for the cat !

The few bigger tournaments are held more in neighbour countries like the Netherlands , where restrictions are not as stupid and dump as they are in Germany .

But big money is not as much involved over here , like you have mentioned it counting for the United States .

Read once , that the start fee for a big zander(European walleye) tourney in the Netherlands was maybe around 150