Mountain Man 26

Threadfin Swimbait

17 posts in this topic

Finished it today. Photo finish, 5 inches long, 7/16 oz. ballast, deer hair tail, #2 Gama 2x Superline Hooks on 3/0 crane swivels. Now to the lake.

Rangers Lead The Way!

042.jpg

043.jpg

044.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

044.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

044.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

044.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

044.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

044.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

044.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

044.jpg

3921_thumb.attach

3922_thumb.attach

3923_thumb.attach

Very well done.....havent seen a photo finish bait from you before so I assume this is your first? If so outstanding!:yes: I look forward to seeing other pieces you bring...as well as a video if ya get the chance! :popcorn:

Great looking bait!!:yay: And another innovative technique for tails!! This is one I will have to try. I do have one question: With deer hair being so bouyant will it make the tail section want to float and mess with the action?

the reason i asked about the deer hair is because i was thinking along the same lines as jflures.

deer hair is very buoyant, and i was thinking it might mess with the tail action, unless you incorporated your ballast to cancel that.

also, deer hair is very brittle, and it will crinkled and broken very easily. once it bends, it breaks, it doesnt bend back.

I have been using the deer hair in my baits for several months. So far everything has been great and I have had no problems with breaking or permenant bending. The great thing about the slot in the tail is that if it ever does, just dremel it out and put in a new one. I make them the same way that JR Hopkins listed in his post that he does with his baits and micro fibbs. Arange with blue tape and glue, then trim. As for lift to the tail and effecting the swiming action, I have seen none. They swim, decend, and pause as naturual as any swimbait with a hook hanger on the rear of the tail that I have made.

I am not saying that the hair will not be a problem, it just it not yet, and is alot cheaper that the fibbs. The most important thing, is that the fish do not seem to mind.

I use deer hair for buck tail jigs all the time, and haven't had a problem with it breaking. Of course, buck tail jigs aren't fished like jointed swimbaits.

If the tail does get worn, it will just look like a shad that's been attacked and beat up, and more vulnerable. :yeah: