Mountain Man 26

Threadfin Swimbait

the reason i asked about the deer hair is because i was thinking along the same lines as jflures.

deer hair is very buoyant, and i was thinking it might mess with the tail action, unless you incorporated your ballast to cancel that.

also, deer hair is very brittle, and it will crinkled and broken very easily. once it bends, it breaks, it doesnt bend back.

I have been using the deer hair in my baits for several months. So far everything has been great and I have had no problems with breaking or permenant bending. The great thing about the slot in the tail is that if it ever does, just dremel it out and put in a new one. I make them the same way that JR Hopkins listed in his post that he does with his baits and micro fibbs. Arange with blue tape and glue, then trim. As for lift to the tail and effecting the swiming action, I have seen none. They swim, decend, and pause as naturual as any swimbait with a hook hanger on the rear of the tail that I have made.

I am not saying that the hair will not be a problem, it just it not yet, and is alot cheaper that the fibbs. The most important thing, is that the fish do not seem to mind.