lostfisher

Making a jigging rap

I make my own jigs for icefishing, and I do very well on them. I also like to use jigging raps too, but they are a lot more expensive than a regular jig. At 5 dollars a piece I thought I would try to make My own. I have seen some home made ones that looked good. I am having a hard time locating the special hooks for them Does anyone knw where I could get those hooks?

I don't know if they are a "buyable" item, but if they are it might negate the cost savings of making your own. Going out on a limb here and assuming you own a flytying vise...if you do, you can pretty much make the hooks you need. Just tie the two hooks together and attach the wire line tie. If alignment is an issue, tie both hook shanks to the wire for better horizontal, leaving the eyes on for pull-out insurance. Once the thread is cemented and the hook/line tie assembly is in the bait, it'll be plenty strong.

Solder might be an option, but it adds weight and does nasty things to hook tempers at times.

I'm thinking the simple kind of jigging rapala here, one with two opposite singles and NOT the little treble dangling. Of course, if you really dig the dangling treble, you would just tie in an optional belly wire.

I don't know if the hooks are some special VMC's, the brand Rapala usually uses on their baits. I have a few Jigging Rapalas and the hooks look like #10 or #12 Carlisle or Sproat panfish hooks. Staminainc.com sells those in Mustad brand. You can easily snip them with a wire cutter to make them any length. With 2 end hooks and a belly treble, I'd plan to cut the bait in half, lay in the end hooks, ballast and belly hanger and glue it back together with 5 min epoxy - just like on a balsa bait. Thay way, you know the end hooks are gonna stay where you put them.

Edited by BobP