CA Delta

Would this comp. work good enough?

I have a similar one gathering dust in the garage. You want a compressor that will output at least 35 psi SUSTAINED pressure. My Central Pneumatic unit shot 40 psi for 1/2 second, then dropped to a sustained 15 psi. You'll be happier with one that outputs more pressure, JMHO. I've seen other inexpensive units mentioned here on the forum, you might search for those threads or someone mention the source.

Bob P nailed it. Sustained pressure.

I leave my regulator set at 40psi, and use the trigger and paint valve to control my paint.

Most of the time, I'm painting at 40 psi.

Any compressor with 40 psi peak will work, but you will need a storage tank that can hold enough pressurized air to let you paint for a while. Otherwise, you'll be constantly waiting for the compressor to cycle. It's like trying to run a framing gun off a pancake compressor. You're lucky to get off a couple of shots before the compressor kicks back on, because the tank is so small.

I use an old Sears 4 horse compressor, with a 10 gallon storage tank, and the regulator set at 100 psi. I have a separate, inline regulator/moisture separator for my airbrush.

I can paint for many minutes before the compressor cycles, and even then I always have enough pressure to continue painting.

Not saying other compressors won't work. But smaller compressors/storage tanks have limitations.

Like Bob P said, look for the sustained pressure rating when you check out compressors. If it won't put out enough pressure, continuously, while you're painting, you will have to wait for it to cycle, the paint will dry in the tip of your airbrush, and you'll be :pissed: You'll have a tool that's not up to the job.

Buy the most CFM @ 40 lbs you can afford.. I have a Makita mac-air 2200 that has 6.1 CFM @ 90 lbs and 8.? at 40 lbs... It's loud, But don't run much or very long. I think I might leave it in the garage and get a longer hose to fish into the house. The more hose you have, adds to the volume of the tank. Cycles even less.

Buy the most CFM @ 40 lbs you can afford.. I have a Makita mac-air 2200 that has 6.1 CFM @ 90 lbs and 8.? at 40 lbs... It's loud, But don't run much or very long. I think I might leave it in the garage and get a longer hose to fish into the house. The more hose you have, adds to the volume of the tank. Cycles even less.

Good advice, but I don't recommend painting in the house. The paint particles, when you spray, are so small they get into everything, including your lungs.

My Mom was from Detroit, so when my Dad brought her out here to SoCal after WW2, she was amazed when people out here complained about "hard water". To her, hard water was frozen! :eek:

But be careful. Even water based paints atomize little particles that may not be poisonous, but which will still clog you lungs little by little. When you hock up a luggy that looks better than the bait you just painted, you'll know what I'm talking about. :lol:

:eek: I hear you loud and clear... I just hope your not a smoker and explaining about healthy lungs. :lol:

This would make an awsome compressor>>> Makita "Hot Dog" Air Compressor 2 HP, Model# MAC700 | 3 - 10 CFM | Northern Tool + Equipment

Mine is bigger, But I'm a drywall finisher and also spray texture walls/cielings. My hopper needs alot of air delivery and mine has worked flawlessly for years. It only runs 50% of the time spraying texture, Thats an awesome feat. My airbrush cant even make it go on hardly. :lol:

No, I'm not a smoker, but both my parents were two pack a day smokers (it killed them both) and my first wife smoked, so I have diminished lung capacity. Back then, everyone smoked.

Plus, working in construction before we knew about dust masks (we tied handkerchiefs over our faces like outlaws) I'm sure I'd hate to see all the crud that's stored in my lungs.

My compressors are all const. compressors. I have a 5hp in the storage area behind my garage that I don't even use any more. Emglo compressors are so much lighter and easier to carry and use.

You drywall compressor should work fine. Just build a weather-proof enclosure for it, with plenty of air intake capacity, and insulate it and the air supply hose, so it's not bringing super cooled air into your basement, or you'll have unintended AC.

BTW... The manufacturer of the Makitas also make the Porta Cable. Atleast they used too. Mine is an oil-less model and is louder and more rpms than these newer models.... But until mine fails, I will be using it. :lol: The compressors I have owned, Don't like the Michigan winters. So I'll just live with it or invest in some good ear plugs for the entire family. :lolhuh:

Thanks so much for all of your great advise. I'm looking on-line for the best deal, but nothing to cheap. Sounds like I need at least 100 PSI. w/ a 1 1/2 To 3 gallon would work. I want to be able to spray some aplle barrel thinned w/ windex using a PS1000 Or PS900 W/ a .3mm tip. Trying to get most everything under $200. Thanks again,

TIM...

I'm sure that one will do the job, but, if you can manage it, I'd look for one with a larger storage tank.

I would agree, I was using one with only a 2 gallon capacity and I like having one that is larger. It worked good it had plenty of sustained output, it just ran a lot more and made more noise.

One thing to not forget is that if the compressor air regulator doesn't have a moisture trap, make sure you add one to it or add one inline.

I have a similar one gathering dust in the garage. You want a compressor that will output at least 35 psi SUSTAINED pressure. My Central Pneumatic unit shot 40 psi for 1/2 second, then dropped to a sustained 15 psi. You'll be happier with one that outputs more pressure, JMHO. I've seen other inexpensive units mentioned here on the forum, you might search for those threads or someone mention the source.

Bob,

Yours may look similar, but sounds as though it makes less pressure than the one shown. I have the same compressor except with a top-mount quick-adjust regulator that I have regulated down to 40 psi. When spraying it drops to just a tad below 30. For painting inside the house, I wouldn't have anything else, and it is also a bargain! Mine is auto shut-off, runs only when spraying, and it is easy to carry on a normal conversation while it's running.

TIM,

You don't need 100psi, or a tank for airbrushing. If you also use it for air tools, inflation etc, out in a shop, then get a big one!

Dean