eagle1584

Differences in working with ETEX VS D2T

his week I 'discovered' that Etex will not harden AT ALL in temperatures around freezing...:censored:

I have my little shop in a cabin in my garden and don't want to let the heater on for 12 hours, but discovered that 24 hours of turning later, the etex was still drippingwet. You never stop learning..lol8O

I don't think any epoxies like freezing weather. In fact, I don't know many people who like it, either. :nuhuh:

Try putting a desk lamp, the ones with a flexible goose neck, over the lure turner, just to keep the temps above freezing. Or bring the turner into the house. The fumes from Etex are alcohol, so how bad would that be? :lol:

@ A-Mac

When I made my first swimbait , I was aware , that the paint brush bristle fins might somehow hinder the topcoating process , so I glued them in afterwards .

Just to assure 100% coverage , even inside the fin grooves and between the bristles , I have applied small amounts of that lacquer to those spots , but even with pointing upward fins , that paint still climbed upward towards the bristles ends .

It's quite liquid and not viscous at all , also starts to set rather quick , but still did this :(!

greetz , diemai

You can chalk the slots with cardboard and a bit of chapstick(like mentioned) and then add the fins after with epoxy or super glue. If your worried about sealing the slots do so before hand with Smith & Co CPES and a needle.

As for Etex and D2T both have their hangups. D2T can be hard to find before its started to yellow but I do like how fast it sets up and the mill thickness you can achieve. Etex takes forever to dry and do multiple coats which in turn can cause more yellowing... however it does give a good finish. Like Downriver Tackle has said before there are many different formula's for epoxies. Etex is an interior bartop epoxy and D2T is a glue neither are UV resistant...LOL hopefully what he's got in the lab coming builds like D2T,dries hard as Urethane,has a shelf life longer than 30 days,and is UV resistant!

Fisheyes can be a combination of things...like everything already mentioned it can also be from forcing too thick a coat on. I like to thin my epoxies just a hair and do multiple coats depending on the bouyancy of the bait.

I switched from Etex to Nu Lustre 55 with UV inhibiters, because I didn't like the yellowing. The Nu Lustre goes on like Etex, and it hasn't yellowed so far. I've been using it for six months. I leave my lures on my deck all day when I'm fishing, which is once a week, and the white and silver lures are still white and silver. :)

That's a good thing.