matt duarte

for those using featherlite resin

i have a few questions i hope you can answer... i read a little about the stuff and i see that its real light weight. but is it to lite to where it wont sink when weighted? also when molding a jointed swimbait do you guys mold it with the hinges in the mold or are those placed in after? the only way i see it is either molding each segment by itself or mold the solid bait and cut the segments after its molded and screw in the joints... im probley wrong i just read that it was easily sanded,milled ect. also are you spose to weight it in the mold by making weight pockets or just drill holes and weight after its molded?

thanks,matt

Edited by matt duarte

Featherlite, is really not that light. Yes, it floats, it's density is 0.67g/cm3. Here is Smooth-ons data sheet.

http://tb.smodev.com/tb/uploads/Feather_Lite.pdf

Woods that have a similar density are; beech, birch, elm, oak. So really not exactly 'feather' light, but regular resin is heavier than water and will sink. Here is a link to wood densities, for your interest.

PHYSICAL PROPERTIES OF COMMON WOODS

This was discussed very recently, just did a quick search and found this thread.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/hard-baits/14935-allumilte-feather-lite.html

Dave

Matt, featherlite floats well. Alumilite needs microballoons added to make it float. Without the microballoons it sinks like a steel bolt.

As far as molding it, A bait can be molded in one piece and then cut into segments or the segments can be molded individually (this is my preference). Building a mold in which you can mold the weight in is a bit tricky and time consuming but does make a neat looking part. By far the easiest way is to mold the pieces then drill for hardware and attach. Some just drill and screw screweyes in and some set the screweyes or other hook hangers (twisted wire) with epoxy (again, my preference).

I use both Featherlite and Alumilite and don't find much difference in sanding between them. They are both easily sanded and worked with after the stuff cures. Not quite as easily as balsa, but works nicely.

Hope this helps.

David