Art Brush

New musky baits

Hi Fellas,

Thought I'd show some progress I've been making with the 5inch Gotcha baits. Sorry I haven't been participating in the forums much lately but I've been busy tryin to build a website and finish baits for the holidays :oops: .

I decided to switch from featherlite to smoothcast plastic for tougher lures.

The attached pics show a prototype set up with cavity, keys & sockets.

Ideally the model should be cast and worked in jewelers wax before an rtv mold is made but the plastics I used worked out well. The baits walls are 5x thicker than anything I've found on the market and will perform well for exotic game fisherman & musky hunters alike.

The photo of the finished bait shows a new paint scheme I'm workin on.

I'd like some feedback on the lures paint scheme. I was looking to mimic traditional yellow perch paint jobs but tried make the bait have a more realistic perch look.

I shoot competiton yellow over a white basecoat. Then Olive drab for the lures top. Any slight overspray from the top is then covered with liquitex gold on the flanks.

Before stripes or the orange bib flash is painted I sprayed a fine mist of kolor change holographic pearl on the belly area to enhance the natural bait fish shimmer. Then on one side the stripes are shot thru a stencil with liquitex metallic bronze. On the other side I line the stencil up so the stripes are seamless across the top. With bronze still loaded in the cup, a small dot is sprayed on the eye mount area to contrast the silver eye. Then I angle the airbrush about 3inches away from the gill plates and shoot a fine mist so that only the tips of the gill plates pick up a hint of bronze.

After the orange bib is painted I then move on to adding metal flake by using clear nail polish on the top and gill areas. With a dry paintbrush I grab a small amount of fine metal flake. Then the brush held about 6inches above the lure and I tap the brush with an index finger letting the flakes fall gently into place while moving both the brush and the lure at the same time. I add just enough to give the lure a slight scale glimmer but not enough to coat solid. For a topcoat I use 2 layers of devcon.

The photo doesnt really show off how nice the kolor change paint & layering looks.

I've also added another photo to the hardbait gallery with bass pattern and black perch with larger metal flakes. Your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks in advance & good fishin' in 2004,

Shawn

5-inch-inner-design.jpg

yellow_perch_169.jpg

5-inch-inner-design.jpg

yellow_perch_169.jpg

5-inch-inner-design.jpg

yellow_perch_169.jpg

5-inch-inner-design.jpg

yellow_perch_169.jpg

5-inch-inner-design.jpg

yellow_perch_169.jpg