Sign in to follow this  
musky1

Wood ?

15 posts in this topic

Has anyone tried using Cypress or Redwood? Does the primer and paint work well with these types of wood? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim

I only experiment on local wood but it has to have its values! If its a MEDIUM grade wood> I'd look into it , but if its high cost or softwood then I have NO intrest. Thats why for the $ and the results we want I tend to use white pine,maple or something close to them.That is for HARDWOOD LURES.Not to confuse you with softwoods or muti grains. REDWWOD is not a choice at all for me but what do you know about cypress? I never looked into it but I thought cypress was a course wood?

I have seen topwater lures from Mississippi that were made of cypress when I use to fish the bayou ditches. Those baits held up well. I have never used it. I would like to try some though.

Skeeter

What about Jelutong (sp?) (I think thats what Lee Sisson uses on his crankbaits. ) Is it readily available? I have never seen it for sale anywhere. Has anyone tried it??? :huh:

Thanks.

Volp1

Most any type of paint will stick to hardwoods. I don't care for Jelutong. I had someone give me a piece of it once. It is alot like basswood.

Skeeter

I went to a exotic wood store and ask for Jelutong...the guy said it use to be a readily avaible wood...but the sources for it have dried up...he told me that Jelutong is actually wood from a rubber tree!!..Nathan

jelutong wood &abacchi is same wood &works great for crankbaits holds good for any fish easy to carve n sand

uses some in my lures

How come Cedar is used to such an extent in lures? I had read somewhere where the chemicals in the wood actually go against keeping paint on it. What is the best wood for bass cranks as far as price and performance? I've just sanded two plugs out of poplar. I know you sometimes have problems carving with it, but after sanding, I put the hook anchors in and it seems to hold well, but I always put 2-ton in to ensure the anchors hold anyway...Why don't many use poplar?

I've used Poplar before but had problems with the paint peeling. I may have done something wrong. Cedar is suppose to be good with water. I never had any paint problems at all using cedar. Jim

Thanks Jim. I'm not going to be too worried about the paint sticking, as I think I will paint a layer of devcon over the wood to seal it, sand it down to give it tooth, then paint, then clearcoat. I don't think I should have any problems, at least I haven't had problems with basswood this way...

Poplar is excellent wood. I used it for all of my baits for 2yrs.

It is just time consuming to sand.

Skeeter

That's good to hear Skeeter! I bought the wood at Lowe's b/c it was cut to the thickness I need for a few prototype designs I've been working on...never thought about whether it would work or not...duh! Currently have two designs shaped, haven't had time to do much else to them yet.

That's the same wood that I use. I still enjoy making some of the older designs that I did. They were all made out of that poplar from Lowes. My highest tournament finish here was done with one of those poplar baits. I still throw quite a few of them.

Skeeter

Jelutong is very similar to basswood. The Louisiana duck decoy carvers use it because it does not "fuzz up" with a power carver like basswood does. It is pricier than basswood.