rlcam

Pic size for gallery

Rob, it is hard to advise without knowing what you edit your photos with.

Before uploading to a picture hosting service, I use photoshop and do a 'save for web' under the file function. This automatically prepares a suitable pic for the web, reducing the file size and still maintaining reasonable pic quality.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

The Gallery Upload page says max 500 KB. That's plenty large enough! I store pics on my computer with Picasa, a very nice freeware Google program that downloads pics from cameras, does basic editing, and can export pics in any size you choose. For uploading to TU, I export the pic from the Picasa album in smaller size to a separate folder on my computer, then upload it directly to TU. If you right click on a jpeg photo on your computer and choose "Properties" from the pop up menu, it will tell you the size of the jpeg. JMHO, 50-100 KB is big enough for good detail on TU gallery posts. I'm used to sending small pics 'cause some of my friends live waaaay back in the woods where only dial-up modems live. They don't appreciate receiving large jpeg files!

Edited by BobP

@ ricam

I use a picture program on my PC named "Picasa 2" . Its on my desktop symbols , after opening up I could upload the picture from my camera into it , work on them(color , shading , contrast, etc.) .

After I can choose the size I want in pixels(650 for the gallery in here)and import them from that "Picasa 2" into a personal file into my computer .

In there I most likely change the pictures names , since if you have too many in one file , taken at different times , your camera might have named several picture with the same code , so than the system can't work with this , and would leave out doubles !

When willing to transmit pics into the gallery , the "upload" bar would open up these personal files window on my screen , so I can choose there the files containing the pics to transmit , open file , mark the pic(s) and finally upload .

That's it , don't use no "photobucket" service !

Works fine for me so far , I am happy with it , since I am a complete dummy concerning computering !

Greetz:yay: , diemai

There are a lot of tools that will provide an easy way to resize photos to the 600 x 400 pixel size for posting in the gallery.

• Photoshop
  • Picasa 2 (I like this one for the "mass resizing" option)
  • MS Picture It! Photo
  • MS Paint

If none of those catch your fancy, you can try going to tucows.com and enter photo editing on their search and pick one of 141 selections offered. The main thin is trying a few different tools and finding one or several that fit your comfort level. Good luck and tight lines.

The easiest way to reize a pic that a lot of people dont know about is if you are running windows program,I have xp right click on the pics you want to size,a drop down panel appears and one of the options is send to mail recipient,click on this and a tab appears that asks you if you want to make the pics smaller,click on that option and widows resizes the pic automatically,then just drag the pics from the email box or send them to yourself,you dont need a photo edit to do this although they are nice.:)

I use the cheap photo program that came with my first Nikon digital camera. It's called Picture Project.

When I've made the editing changes I want, I email the pictures to myself, save them in my documents, and then upload them to the gallery from my documents, three at a time.

But I found I can't upload them as a set, or the file is too big.

Try hitting "NO" in the box that asks if you want to upload them as a set, and see if the works.

When my daughter gets home from school, I'll ask her about the file size I use. I'm clueless. :lol:

Just remember, regardless of the program used, the size is 600 x 400. Just to refresh your memories on the subject, here's TU Rule 13

"Rule 13: You may display your own images here but the size will be limited to 400 x 600 pixels to help keep the site fast for our 56k (dial up) users. You may also display images hosted on your own web space, however, these remotely hosted images must conform to the same 400 x 600 pixel limit. Larger images will distort the layout of the website. If a remotely hosted image is found to be excessively large, "broken" or off topic, it will be removed without notice."

Hope this helps.

Just remember, regardless of the program used, the size is 600 x 400. Just to refresh your memories on the subject, here's TU Rule 13

"Rule 13: You may display your own images here but the size will be limited to 400 x 600 pixels to help keep the site fast for our 56k (dial up) users. You may also display images hosted on your own web space, however, these remotely hosted images must conform to the same 400 x 600 pixel limit. Larger images will distort the layout of the website. If a remotely hosted image is found to be excessively large, "broken" or off topic, it will be removed without notice."

Hope this helps.

Bah Humbug on the 56K dial up users. :yawn: Any way to check how many of your users connect via a dial up service versus DSL or Cable Modems by checking their email addresses? Run a query on your DB and see how many cavemen there are versus modern man. I'd just as soon shoot myself in the foot than dial in.

I can hear the boo hisses now from the CAVE PEOPLE! They probably identify with the Geico commercials.