CA Delta

"repaint"

I didn't like the first one so I repainted it my question to you is should I sand it, or seal it w/ D2T? I'm not looking for compliments, just want some creative criticism. I cant paint w/ a brush & don't have an airbrush yet, so I started to use a sponge the other day. It was kind of fun. Please be brutally honest, I have a lot of hours into this one & I don't want to waist my time sealing it only to see what my wife could have done. Thanks in advance. Tim

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

JMHO, but James Heddon & the other lure makers of the late 1800's & early 1900's didn't have airbrushes, printers to make "photo-finishes" or super clear & hard epoxy clearcoats, yet they were successful in creating lures that not only caught fish but this class of "primitive lure" caught the world record largemouth. I'm not saying that "perfect enough to be real" finishes aren't great, just not always really necessary for a fish catching bait. Look at spinnerbaits, no matter how carefully you craft them, they don't look like a real food item, only giving an illusion of something alive when retreived properly. Does a firetiger or black back/ chart. crank look like anything natural? Not really, just gives visual clues to create an optical illusion of a food source. Give it a try before deciding it won't work, how many bubblegum colored worms have you seen in the wild? lol:yay:

Thank you for the kind words you guys. I am in the presence of true talent on this website & I highly respect your opinions. I've looked @ the gallery after talking w/ all of you & realize how much blood, sweat & tears that everybody puts into this. All of you truly make this look really easy & let me be the one to say that it's not. Thanks for the different outlook on these lures. Now that I think about it bublegum does work when your in the right place @ the right time.

Do what you like to do! You're lures are fine. Now let's see how they catch fish. That's the proof of the pudding. I do life like finishes and and some folk aek. They both sell and many times my folk art frogs outsell the others. Since I fish only what I make I don't care what finish as long as it catchs fish.

Good luck and keep plugging.

ipock2

@ CA Delta

"......Now that I think about it that bubblegum does work....."

I am not that familiar with American English language , don't know , whether it' s only a phrase to describe for something , BUT I have caught fish on bubblegum before:yes: .

Non-predatory bream though , but they obviously were crazy about that "Wrigley's Spearmint" , only chewed a little bit to retain the peppermint flavor for the fish .

After they've started to ignore the typical sweetcorn and maggot bait , that bubblegum was hot and brought them in again !

keep on carvin' :yay:, diemai

Dieter,

Bubble gum is a pink color that was the color the original baseball card chewing gum, and most other bubble gum, chewing gum that you could blow bubbles with, came it. I don't know how they came up with the pink color, but, as kids, we didn't think it was real bubble gum unless it was pink.

CA Delta,

I wouldn't worry about if the lure will catch fish because of the paint job. Dieter has a signature at the bottom of his posts that says every lure will catch fish sometimes, or words to that effect.

Finish it, fish it, and, if you feel like, in the future, you want a different paint scheme, repaint it. I do that to my older lures, from earlier attempts, if I like the lure's action, but don't like the paint scheme, or want to "improve" it with my newer "paint skills". :lol:

I actually have two older baits hanging over my workbench right now, wait to be reworked and repainted.

@ mark poulson

Mark , as you name it , I instantly remember to have come accross that term for a certain lure color before !

Guess , it must have been in one of the US mailorder catalogs , that I used to receive years ago . Thanks !

But still chewing gum seems to be a good substitute bait for bream :lol:!

greetz , Dieter

If you had an airbrush you might be "dangerous". Very nice technique used. I especially like the second bluegill and the striper. That second bluegill is quite realistic. The only thing I would do different on the top bluegill is to soften the edges of the teal and red/orange colors-"blend" them into the adjacent colors/patterns. (Unless the sharp edges are what you specifically wanted.) Look forward to seeing your first airbrush job!

As others have said - the action catches the fish, but as an artist myself, I can see the need to create more realistic finishes. It's just a personal thing. So with that I'll offer some constructive criticism.

Blend your colors (as madbass already stated.) Put less paint on your brush/sponge and gradually apply color as you transition from one color to the next. It takes practice and a lot of touch. If you can learn this now, when you get an airbrush, it will make it much easier.

Although not too important, you could paint some extra details like fins or the big black dot on the gill (not sure what that's called.)

Hey Mark, I can't agree w/ you enough. I do a lot of homework when purchasing something nice & everywhere I look, whether it's here @ TU or airbrush websites, the Iwata HP-C Plus is the work horse of this industry.

Q&A

1. Do I need a 1/4" NPT male connector for my airbrush hose?

2. I Have the standard 1/4" quick connect @ the compressor, will that work?

3. Do the hoses mostly come in NPT or something different. I here a lot of guys having trouble w/ this.

4. Which one Iwata HP-C Plus or the Hi-Line HP-CP

Edited by CA Delta

Q&A

1. Do I need a 1/4" NPT male connector for my airbrush hose?

Check the fittings on your compressor and hose. If they don't match, get an adapter.

2. I Have the standard 1/4" quick connect @ the compressor, will that work?

The fitting will work, if you can get a 1/4" male fitting that fits both the compressor and the air hose. Again, I'd take them both down to where they carry air fittings, and find whatever I needed to make it work.

3. Do the hoses mostly come in NPT or something different. I here a lot of guys having trouble w/ this.

All three of the air brush hoses I have came with just a threaded male on one end, and a threaded female on the other. Now that's from memory. It's too wet and cold to go out and check it right now. Sorry.

4. Which one Iwata HP-C Plus or the Hi-Line HP-CP

I'd get the Plus. You can do almost everything with it. I bought a cheap brush with a smaller needle to do detail work, but I learned that I can do fine work by just adjusting the paint valve on the HP-C Plus.

I feel kind of dumb. I've owned and used compressors for most of my adult life, and still don't know the difference in fittings by name.

I just take whatever I want to match down to the lumber yard or tool repair store, and match it all up.

Once you've gotten your air brush and hose, a lot of these questions will probably answer themselves. It's really not complicated.