cranker520

Need painting advise...

Guys,

I am new to the board as a member but I have looked at the site many of times. You guys offer great information on tackle building and I need some help. I took up painting crankbaits last year and I have the setup. I have a Paache VL dual action brush, air compressor, all the Createx colors, turning machine, and I coat with Devcon 2 or flex coat rod vanish. I have always painted lipped crankbaits in the past and now I want to paint some lipless cranks. My question is, how do you guys hold them while painting and better yet, how do you hold them while the turn drying? I took a sawed off mop handle and screwed small alligator clamps to hold the others I have painted by the lip. How do you guys hold the lipless cranks to dry? Thanks in advance!!

I use locking forceps. I have a 5" or so section of 2x4 that I cut into halfway through with a miter saw. The 2x4 is the base, the rings on the handle of the forceps fit tightly in that slot. Just tight enough that they only move when I move them on purpose. Easy to tilt, easy to turn. Little tougher when you can't touch the bait but it works well. I wear latex gloves when I paint. Make sure they're clean and you can touch the paint once it dries with no ill effects. For the drying wheel..........I spray Dick Nite's so I don't turn any lures anymore, but I just used alligator clips. Sometimes the lures would have some play and move slightly when the wheel turned, but I never had a problem because of this. Just make sure that the clip won't touch the lure itself when it moves if you can't get it to hold tight.

If you're using epoxy on lipless cranks, it might be better to use 2-3 really thin coats so it doesn't pull away from any sharper edges.