lostfisher

Wire?

@ lostfisher

Since over here in Germany special luremaking wire is not available in too many different lengths and diameters(and also a lot more expensive) , I most often buy stainless steel welding wire from a shop for industrial welding supply in the vicinity of my hometown .

That wire comes in rods of 1 metre length and diameters of 1,0 mm and 1,5 mm(they also have up to 3,0 mm , but that's too thick for lures , only made some hooks for smoking fish and parts of my lure retriever out of it).

That wire is just a fraction softer than special luremaking wire , and for your purpose to pour jigging spoons it should be 100% OK !

I also use it(1,0 mm) for smaller inline-spinners and internal harnesses for smaller and medium sized crankbaits , for bigger sizes I take the 1,5 mm dia.

Some years ago , when I bought my last batch of wire , I have payed about 18 € per one kilogramm , which makes up for more than 120 metre rods of dia. 1,0 mm .

Guess , that nowadays it got more expensive !

In tools,-and supplyshops there is also stainless welding wire available on spools , that one is usually thinner , about 0,8 mm thick and still a little softer , since its supposed to be used on welding devices , that feed that wire automatically to the welding flame , not just held by hand like done with the rods .

This one only works for the smallest lures , but could also be an option for you , since the wire is cast into lead , but really depends on size and weight of your intented lures !

Also has the disadvantage of requiring straightening each time coming off the spool !

The thicker rods don't , here you only have to snip off about 2" from one of their ends , which are flattened and have a code number punched onto them .

good luck :yay:, diemai

Edited by diemai

I think buying industrial single strand stainless wire is the cheapest. Make sure you get a softer grade for bending. It is mostly sold in 5lb and sometimes 1lb coils of 302/304 grade. A lot of times they don't make exactly .051 or .043 wire but always something very close. If you can buy about $100 worth most wire manufacturers will sell it direct for WAY cheaper than the other resellers listed here.

Fishing grade wire is usually the same thing it is just pre-screened to be softer for bending so you don't have to know wire ratings. It is also usually packaged in smaller amounts.