Tom W

Advice needed on airbrush and supplies.

I would like to get started painting some crankbaits, mostly repaints of baits such as Zoom crankbaits and others that I have used and abused.

I have a compressor and but need recommendations on an airbrush and other needed supplies. Any advice on what is needed would be appreciatied. Also should the paint be removed on old baits or some type of surface prep done on the existing paint.

Tom Wilkinson

Tom,

Just do a search on the air brush and supplies question. There are tons of post on which airbrush people use. As far as getting the bait ready to paint, you can probably get away with painting over the old paint job if its not damaged or the clear coat isn't to thick. I would do some sanding on it. If you want the bait to be the exact weight as new, than you will have to strip them.

Tom,

Welcome to the world of custom painted lures. Check out www.Dixieart.com-they have a good selection of airbrushes in all price ranges. I would get to know a double action airbrush if you are going to get serious. I would probably choose a Paasche VL-it is moderately priced and pretty user friendly if you keep it clean. Good luck......

From my checking of the Zoom baits, I believe they are painted with lacquer and then the eyes are dotted with water based latex. This is how I do my eyes and dots on a bait. The reason that I say the eyes are done with latex is because many of their baits have raised eyes. This is due to latex paint being dried out alittle so that it won't run when dotting. This is especially true for their Poes copies. Dotting large eyes can get tricky. I don't think that they dot with lacquer because sometimes lacquer will splatter and then the bait has to be completely repainted. If you have the eyes raised then you might want to strip the bait. If not, then you can do like Hughesy said, if the clearcoat is not damaged, just shoot over the existing paint and clearcoat. If you do want the exact weight then stip them. But if you use epoxy for clearcoating then it won't be the exact weight. They do not use an epoxy coating like most of us do. I believe they dip their lures or shoot a lacquer clear. Their clearcoats are really thin. But it really won't matter because their baits are all made of balsa. Balsa is very forgiving when it comes to weight.

Skeeter

Well finally something that i can help someone out with the. Zoom baits are the reason I started to do repaint work because they were very limited in colors. I literally cut my teeth on the Zoom Tapp repaints. They are one of my favorite baits to repaint I probably have done close to a 1000 of these baits over the past 6 years. Skeeter is right about the eyes, they are done with latex. When I am going to repaint a Zoom I remove the clearcoat, tape off the bill and use a rag with denatured alcohol to remove the existing paint job. I don't think that Ed Chambers is using laquer because the paint jobs come off rather easily with the denatured alcohol.I'm not real familiar with laquer because I don't use it (the denatured alcohol also will not damage the lexan lip)once the I'm down to the whit undercoat I sand with 800 grit sandpaper and reprime the bait. I then spray out my pattern and clearcoat. They are awesome baits.