SIUBASSER

Airbrush Frogs????

This post may not be in the right place, but i figured you guys talk about painting more than the soft plastic guys do. Is it possible to airbrush a hollow belly frog. I know there was a post about markers to use on the spro, and no one really knew, but i use a sumo frog and it has a little different texture to the plastic. If it is possible how would you keep the paint form coming off. Would clearcoat flake off? And what type of paint would you use.

Thanks

Richard Dunham

Vice-President SIU Saluki Bassers

All I ever use on them is Sharpies.

I don't think any glitter or flake would stick to the soft plastic, unless you found some rubber glue that stays flexible and is clear.

I don't know of a paint that's flexible but will stick to rubber.

I have a friend who pours plastics, and I've asked him before. He's stumped, too.

I guess you could mix some highlite powder or tint in some clear plastic, and try pouring that onto the frog, but I don't know how well it would stick, or whether it would ruin the frog's rubber.

Another solution might be to use soft pro glue to stick some colored or glittery clear plastic worm pieces onto the frog.

If you do figure it out, please post it here.

Edited by mark poulson

There's a couple keys to getting paint to adhere to flexible materials like that. First, it all depends on what the material is. I'm guessing not all frogs are made of the same material. Some are easier than others. As for paint type, you probably do want to go to the automotive end because of the nice package of strong solvents in there to dissolve the material and get adhesion. Vinyl paints reduced with a ketone MIGHT work. The next part is the bummer. You can probably forget putting a clearcoat on it. If there's any possibility, it would have to be very flexible, solvent based, and reduced to nothing to get the thinnest coat possible. And, the colors you apply have to be limited in film thickness. You can probably get away with markings, highlights, dots and such misted on lightly in multiple layers, but trying to paint the whole body or large areas probably won't work and the paint won't last long at all. I'm not saying any of it's impossible, but that's a tall task for any paint.

One thing that might work to get a whole body color is Renew Allure.

There is a flexible agent that you would use on rubber bumpers of autos,it cant be too much different for lures.

The additive is a polyester resin and solvent blend. What I said before still applies. The problem is that the paint must flex as much, or more than the material it is on over all temperatures, and bumpers are nowhere near as flexible as a frog. The additive will help, but you are still limited to very thin films. As film thickness increases, flexibility and elongation decrease.

Try acetone and pure solvent based pigments or pearl powders. Mix them very thin and spray it heavy as you shoot it on the bait. Don't add any binders or paints to the mix, just the acetone and pigments. This might etch into the rubber and bond to it with out the binders that paint has.

You might even be able to try this with just a spray bottle.