Lili Man

Smooth On Feather Lite Help!!!

I just opened my two 5 gal component mixtures, and the yellow one is all crusty at the top and hard, but is more liquidy at the bottom. The Blue one is like hard sour cream or icing. I know I am supposed to mix this stuff well before I start mixing them, but with an industrial mixer???? Anyone done this, and do I have a bad batch?

Bill

:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:censored::censored::censored:

I had the same surprise (with a trial kit) & called asking if I had a bad batch.

It needs to be mixed well before combining.

As for "how" to mix 5 gal? That's a good question that leads me to my question to you.

Why buy that much If you've never used featherlite before?

If you're using a new product I highly recommend buying the trial kits first to practice with.

I have quite a few trial kits of various material that have expired because it didn't suit my project, I hope yours works out!

if its in a 5 gallon bucket, I'd say start out with a paint paddle in a drill....... mix slowly & don't mix the 2 parts inadvertently :yay:

Redg8r,

Thanks for the reply. I did do a good amount of research, and at the time the guy only had the 5 gal size...my patience got the worst of me. But there is a shade of light. I did try and get some small equal parts out and mix accordingly. It worked out fine, and I am now ready to heat up the garage and get pouring before this stuff's shelf life expires,and I don't get to use it all.

Glad Jerry weighed in. I was just going to recommend contacting the manuf. and speaking to their tech. department.

That always works for me with product questions.

You said heat the garage, and I had to laugh. I live just north of you, near LAX, and I had to leave a small space heater running all night in my Garage so my paint would dry, and my epoxy would set.

In SoCal. Who'da thunkit?

Happens every winter, and I'm still surprised. :teef:

The problem where I live isn't the cold per se but I live in the snow belt.

I'm about 2 hours North of Toronto and about an hour from Georgian Bay. We get some really nasty snow squalls up here and it can be tough to get any lure testing done during the winter months.

Well, I hope the weather is mild this winter for you. I'm afraid to wish for a warm winter, because, with global warming, you might melt and float away. :lol:

We finally had a good rain storm here in SoCal. An artic front that moved down and dumped a couple of inches of cold rain. Temps went from low 70's last week to high 50's this week. Should warm into the 60's this weekend.

I hope it drives the damn shad deep, and turns on the jig and swimbait bite. Lately, all the fish are on shad big time, and it's a morning bite, even on overcast days. All the bass I catch spit up tons of shad on the deck.

My girlfriend says winter is ok if you just get out and enjoy it.

I beg to differ! lol I spent 6 years working in a frozen food dept and my hands were buggered for a good year after I left. It's actually a miracle that I can airbrush as any repetitive motions with my hands is quite painful after a while.

I don't do winter! :nono:

My girlfriend says winter is ok if you just get out and enjoy it.

I beg to differ! lol I spent 6 years working in a frozen food dept and my hands were buggered for a good year after I left. It's actually a miracle that I can airbrush as any repetitive motions with my hands is quite painful after a while.

I don't do winter! :nono:

Words to live by.;)

The problem where I live isn't the cold per se but I live in the snow belt.

I'm about 2 hours North of Toronto and about an hour from Georgian Bay. We get some really nasty snow squalls up here and it can be tough to get any lure testing done during the winter months.

Hmm, I think it is the cold! I lived in Omaha for 5 years and I just couldn't get over how long it might be cold. And you are so far north of that, that you have 6 months of cold for sure!

Being from North Miami originally, the Carolinas are a great compromise, because we still fish all year round! I just miss the foot long bluegill, Snook, Dolphin, Cuda, Grouper, ......... and dang now they have Peacock and Oscars!

And boy did this thread get hijacked!

Oh, yeah... go to your local building supply store and if you have a 1/2" drill look for the stirring bits they have for drywall mud. You might find one for a 3/8" drill but... hope it is a good drill.

actually, i got a quick question about featherlite. I'm working on a more detailed bluegill than what is in my avatar and plan to use it as a blank for featherlite. As much as I love a and respect wooden baits I just want to be able to make a handful of "perfect baits" once and be able to repeat them.

I haven't ordered the stuff yet so I don't know anything about working with it other than what I've read in threads.

Does featherlite put off fumes? I'm in an apartment at the moment and we're getting ice storms in Indiana and was looking to pour indoors when I do get the stuff. Thanks, any info would be appreciated.

A Mac,

I have just started using the material myself, but it is pretty simple once you have figured it out. It does not have to much fumes, I do it in my garage, and have not noticed much. But I did need to heat up my garage with an electric heater to do it. The temp needs to be around 72 F. It sets up quick, so start off with small mixes. I can pour about 6 pieces before it gets to solid to pour anymore. AND..... make sure to fully mix your two parts....no matter what it looks like when you open the containers.... It is amazing what a solid and liquid will do when mixed. Even if you have to use your wife's cake mixer to do it!!!!

Hope that helps.

Lilie Dad!

you wanna talk snow belts i live in oswego n.y. 20 miles north of syracuse, we average hundreds of inches of snow and "TUG HILL" is only a 40 min. ride from me and their in the record books for snow fall.just a couple year back we got 6 feet in 36 hours.Personaly i like the snow keeps things interesting.Just sucks when you get that much because it kills the ice fishing for the year.:pissed:

oswego ... rough winters eh lol... i go up steelhead fishing in the spring n winter.......................any way feather lite.. so its a liquid and a solid at first , one to one ratio, dries in like 6 hours holds eyes good.. any thing im missing or have wrong id like to give this stuff and making molds a try...

and with the hole winter thing i don't enjoy the cold to much but i dont get much snow here in jersey

I'm thinking about this featherlite stuff also. I've been doing alot of reading lots of great info. question demold time says its 2 hours does that mean you have to wait 2 hours before you open the mold? If so i can cut out alot of blanks in 2 hours other than getting the same shape from your lures whats so great about it? Just curious about the demold time.

I agree, 2 hours seems a bit long, but I am sure that the demold coult take place sooner, only testing will tell.

But, if you want numbers, why would you only have one mold. I would have 6 - 10 molds on the go, depending on the mixing, pouring and clean-up timing.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

Cutting out wood blanks is only the beginning of many steps if you are making swimbaits for example. Even simple glide baits require you to drill out holes for weighting which then need to be adjusted during balancing. Then if you have any details or fin slots etc you're getting into a lot of work per bait.

I think it saves a ton of time overall because every bait is identical, no fuss, no muss.