Jump to content

- - - - -

Curing Etex / Fumes / Fire?

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jeep



  • TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:07 AM

Hi guys,

As i mentioned in some other thread.... I have found out that etex will not cure at very low temperatures..

My 'shop' is actually in a cabin in my garden, and as I live in Holland it is bitter cold up here now. So I am thinking of a way to get my lure-rotator out of the kitchen..lol.

I do have a small heater in my cabin but just don't want it to be heating for 12 hours or more overnight..

So maybe I was thinking it would be cool to build some sort of insulated 'cure box' in my cabin in wich to cure the lures.

What it basically could be is a wooden box, insulated with something, a lamp, my drying wheel and a small heater with a thermostat.

This way I figure the heater doesn't have to be on all te time and I can do this in the cabin! This will make my wife a lot happier...lol....

But, as I read here, etex gives off fumes that are alcohol.. and that might not be very wise to do together with an electrical heater?

Any ideas?


#2 21xdc


    Advanced Member

  • TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:18 AM

All E-tex epoxies are non solvent based, Unlike most others. No worries using in your house.

#3 mark poulson

mark poulson

    Advanced Member

  • TU Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,779 posts
  • Location:
    Oakley, CA

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:21 AM

I would probably keep the turner in the house, but, if you want to know about the fumes from Etex, first, email or call them. Their tech support is great.
Second, mix up a spoonful, and put it on a piece of wood, and hold a match near it. Start 6" away, and slowly move toward it. I've never done that, but that's how I'd test how "flammable" it is. I've used a hair dryer to soften Etex when I'm having trouble with it flowing, and it's never ignited, even though there is a red hot element somewhere in there.
If you do it on the stove, there should be no danger of any flames spreading if it does ignite.
And, if you have an exhaust fan over your stove, you could just sit your turner on the stove and leave it there overnight with the fan on.
If alcohol fumes at a distance were really that dangerous, I'm pretty sure most of the contributors to this forum would have exploded years ago. :lol:

Edited by mark poulson, 19 December 2008 - 10:22 AM.

#4 21xdc


    Advanced Member

  • TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:42 AM

"Envirotex Lite
One coat equals up to 50 coats of varnish! Low odor, solvent free"

Environmental Technology Inc.

Bottom left...