jrhopkins

special request lure: baby lobster

ok guys, i just make them, i don't think them up:?

i had a request to try to make one of these from the pics i was sent. came out pretty good.

overall length is 9", the tail is jointed to bend on a retrieve. a jigging retrieve i assume would be best, like a crawfish.

the front arms and claws are moveable to either a down position or a raised defensive position.

the front feelers ( i guess thats what they are called ) are flexible and won't get in the way of a hookset. i made them from the insulation on auto wire. i pulled the copper wire out and heated the insulation and then stretched it to get the taper at the tip. i then reinserted a couple of strands to retain the bend and still not be rigid.

the hooks are anchored to the body with 60# test Berkley leader wire. they are held in place with embedded magnets ( the grandkids donated those from the toybox:wink:)

time involved: approx. 50 hours:(

Edited by Spike-A-Pike
Rule 3 violation

I'm (almost) speechless! Truly amazing. :worship:

50 hours! You must be related to Job.

Let me guess. You're not going into production on these any time soon. ;)

yeh Mark, will start cranking them out:lol:! seriously, this was a challenge to see what i could come up with. like i said, it was a special request. kind of nice to get away from the usual type lures once in a while. i may try another for myself only smaller in a crawfish pattern.

jr,

If you spend even a portion of that amount of time to make a crawdad for yourself, will you ever fish with it? I know it would be hard for me.

But it will be eaten, no doubt. That's the closest thing I've seen to a real crawdad, period. Some big bass will have a mouth full of hooks if you do decide to throw it.

Just don't make it too small. Only a big girl deserves a lobster dinner like that!

And....if you make them, there are big bass fishermen on the west coast who will pay for them. Just ask Kelly Ripa.

Edited by mark poulson

Wow that is just awesome!

That bad part is I was thinking about how long it might take me to event think about doing it and I just can't imagine ONLY 50 hours!

I think that is amazing to complete not only a work of art but a functional, practical, fishable work of art in ONLY 50 hours!

I think JR needs to make some videos! And start of course by taking an advert out on this site and offering those videos for sale to TU members! I bet it would take more than 50 hours to watch them over and over ....:popcorn:

JR your simply amazing at what you do. Keep up the great work. You are one who inspired me to work with PVC lures. Thanks again for all the advice along the way. Tim.

CA Delta,

You're right. It's time to say thank you to JR, and to acknowledge how much he's inspired me to try other things.

Thanks to him, I've moved to using PVC, too, and it's something I'd never have thought to try by myself.

And his different hinging system started me thinking about using things besides screw eye to screw eye hinges.

I am really grateful for how much he's shared with me, and the rest of the builders on this forum.

So here's an official, end of the year,Thank You!, to him, and to Snax, and to Diemei and Captsully and Fat Fingers and Clamboni and Tater, and to all of the other people who have shared their hard earned knowledge with us.

Knowledge shared is immortality, so your place in the Pantheon is set.

You guys are the best.