Fishoey

Looking to buy a CNC Router...

Hello Fellow TU Members-

I have recently been looking online and finding an excessive amount of information (to the point of overload) on CNC Routers. I thought to myself why not ask if anyone is currently using them for designing wood baits and their likes and gripes? This is what I am looking into:

- I want to be able to carve wooden baits for a hobby (possibly part-time small business later on).

- I have seen CNC Routers for Y and X Axis for around $1,700. I was thinking if I use this type, I would create two halves and glue them together. If anyone is using this type... your thoughts and ideas as well as where I could get one would be greatly appreciated.

- I have seen "do it yourself" kits for making CNC routers and I'm going to opt not to go that route, even though there would be considerable savings. I'm not good enough to build one I'm afraid.

- I really would like a CNC Router that does X, Y, Z, Axis. I watched a video of one that was spinning a 12" piece of wood approx 4" square and it looked like that would be ideal. I don't know the cost or where to find one, so again if you are using this model, your opinion would be awesome, as well as where I could find one.

Thanks in Advance for all your responses. I am fairly new to this site and this is one of my favorite place to go for answers from ppl who really know their stuff when it comes to custom baits! Thanks!

Hi,

Welcome to TU.

Just to clear up your definitions of axi's.

Most CNC machines use a 3 axis motion (XYZ). Plotters usually use 2 with the 3rd axis (tool) controlled only with an up or down command.

I think you are referring to a 4 axis machine, where the 4th axis rotates 360 degrees?

Those are available and pricey, but if you haven't checked these 2 resources, they are good places to start:

CNCzone.com-Machinist Community Forums - Welcome Page (CNC community much like TU)

John C Kleinbauer's Unique Plans for Hobbyists (sells plans on making a 4th axis, think its called the "wood turtle" or something)

Woodworking Tools Supplies Hardware Plans Finishing - Rockler.com also introduced a beginner level machine made from delrin & machined steel, uses a trim router or dremel for milling, if I remember correctly.

Good luck & let us know how you decide.

All the best.

No wait,...... I remember a machine similar to what you describe. It was made to manually controlled, but some folks have outfitted them with steppers. I cant think of the name of that machine to save my ass.

I get what youre saying now.... if one axis was encoded to rotate 360 degrees, you don't necessarily need the Y axis correct?

I think a search on CNC lathes will better fit what you are looking for.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

i dont think you can touch a cnc 4 axis machine,price wise anyway.They are extremely pricy. I think your best bet is to look for a lathe like redg8r said.you can find them where you can load in a long piece of round stock in and set up a program and cut a bait complete in seconds.ive run a cnc lathe cutting aluminum parts its amazing how fast they are.the only draw back to a lathe is that all the lures you make will have to be round.Like a plug or zara spook hope this helps

Thanks redg8r and paulsvolks75 for your responses.

Redg8r... You were correct with your first post. I was referring to a CNC that would do 4 axis. I saw a video online with a CNC that was carving a 12" wood block that was "slowly" turning. I can't remember what they were making -and I have been desperately looking for it again to post to show you guys what I found-. The key part to it was that it was making an object that wasn't cylinder... i.e. a wooden spoon or oval knife handle... etc. I am looking at designing a wooden frog which is odd shaped. I'm not sure if it was a custom job or not ( the CNC). In essence, the block was turning slowly and the router bit was going up and down / across creating a non-cylinder object. I will keep looking and post it when I run across it again. It wasn't a large scale machine, so I was hoping that it wouldn't break the bank. Paulsvolks75... I did find what you were speaking of where a router bit was used on a high speed lathe.

I came across a WoodCraft CNC lathe that was around $1,700. I may go with the two halves route I mentioned before. Does anyone use that model and is it worth the money or should I think about investing into a little higher end machine? Thanks!