muskietom51

Help Painting

I don't know if there are many tricks but when I want something different from "normal" I use transparent colors and layer them vs mixing paint. That tends to produce more visual depth, especially using metallics and pearls. Many Createx colors are sold in both opaque and transparent form. Like Riverman says, don't hesitate to wash off stuff you don't like and do it over. If you heat set your acrylics as you go, you can often "erase" a mistake if you rinse off the bad paint you just shot before it sets, leaving earlier paint intact. Even if I have to wash all the paint off, it's better to fix it than let it go. Bad paint will haunt you and eventually you'll have to remove the entire finish and start over. Might as well do it before you apply the clearcoat!

Try printing multiple images of a lure profile onto printer paper and experiment to your hearts content. I like saving my mistakes too as it's good to look back and see where you came from.

I agree on layering transparent paints but also practice mixing opaques to try to match colors that you like on other baits. I bought a color wheel from and art store that really helped me see the effectc of adding different colors together.

Merry X-Mass!

Ok I bought a few bottles of transparent paint an plan on trying them real soon. With a white base coat an using the transparent paints what am I going to be looking at? Will the paints actually transparent, i mean will I actually beable to see different colors? I'm sure this may kind of hard to describe but I'll give it a try. Also I bought createx. Bottle says paint be diluted with water do I thin it down a lot of just where i get a nice flow through the airbrush.

With blending your transparents try laying down a narrow band of color onto the lure before you apply your scale netting and then spray a different transparent along side it allowing a little bit of the overspray to carry onto the first color.

Then stretch some scale netting tightly over the lure and then try the next step.

Now load an opaque contrasting color into the airbrush and spray some bars, wiggles or spots etc over both of the colors you applied earlier. Try doing this step with a couple of colors for an even better effect.

When you remove the netting check out how the colors interact and then experiment with different colors for the base and accents.