LooksLikeSinbad

Skirted Treble Hooks

Can't see exactly how it's done, but you can buy a rubber skirt holder called a "Cone Head" from Staminainc.com that does the same thing. It's designed to hold a skirt so you can run it down your fishing line in front of a jig or other lure, or in this case, slip it over the treble's shank.

I think that skirt is actually on the lure and not the hook. I have an off brand crankbait with the skirt on the tail and the lure itself has a jig-like collar molded right into the tail of the lure. That looks like it's on a long hanger or something though.

Northland Tackles on piece skirts work pretty well for skirting larger trebles easily. Tying your own with hair is pretty simple also.

@ LooksLikeSinbad

Years ago I have made a few knock-offs of a small commercial topwater , that is supposed to attract the fish simply by rocking it on the surface to get the skirt pulsating .

Since the lurebody was turned on a lathe , I simply shaped a small round extension on the rear to push on the skirt and it worked pretty well .

If my memory serves me right , the old "Hula Popper" , that 21xdc mentioned , has such an extension on its tail as well .

When using screweyes(longest ones possible) to attach the rear hook , you might as well assemble a pop rivet head(eventually extend bore for the screweye to pass , when using smaller rivet) with the sreweye passing through , I have thought about that before , but never put it to practice .

After the lure is completely done , you can just push on your skirt onto that rivet head before hook assembly.

Make sure , that the potruding portion of the rivet head is long enough for your skirt to fit on .

You may cut the rivet shank to approbiate length or either countersink it a bit into the lurebody , glue in screweye and rivet with epoxy glue thoroughly !

The skirt won't fit over the wide rim of the rivet head , to minor its diameter just firmly chuck the rivets shank(before eventually shortening it !) into a drillpress and take a smaller file to remove a good portion of the outer diameter of that rim , just leaving it sufficiently small to prevent the skirt from sliding down .

File against turning direction , smoothen with a fine file and sandpaper .

good luck:yay: , diemai

SKIRLU_01.JPG

SKIRLU_02.JPG

SKIRLU_03.JPG

SKIRLU_01.JPG

SKIRLU_02.JPG

SKIRLU_03.JPG

SKIRLU_01.JPG

SKIRLU_02.JPG

SKIRLU_03.JPG

SKIRLU_01.JPG

SKIRLU_02.JPG

SKIRLU_03.JPG

SKIRLU_01.JPG

SKIRLU_02.JPG

SKIRLU_03.JPG

SKIRLU_01.JPG

SKIRLU_02.JPG

SKIRLU_03.JPG

SKIRLU_01.JPG

SKIRLU_02.JPG

SKIRLU_03.JPG

SKIRLU_01.JPG

SKIRLU_02.JPG

SKIRLU_03.JPG

3978_thumb.attach

3979_thumb.attach

3980_thumb.attach

Edited by diemai
text addition

Actually, I saw the buzz bait rivets (minus the shank) in several tackle supply catalogs as a spacer to keep buzz bait blades separated; that should save the effort of having to remove the shank for each application.

Another possible means to add a skirt between a hard bait and a treble hook would to add a skirt body on a through wire connection. You would be able to replace the skirt by just taking the hook off; it could even be done on the boat if needed.