WannabeeFishing

Want to build a line winder

I hope this isn't a duplicate. I lost my network connection just as I hit submit.

I'm looking to build a motorized line winder to spool my reels. I did some searches but couldn't find a thread on the subject. Can anyone point me to some plans on building one?

Thanks

I think I have some plans still drawn up they are from the 90's and they are basically copies of the berkley ones every single part.it was one of those projects I wanted to make but never finished.

I used a sewing machine motor and foot pedal. I made the base out of Alum and pretty much everything else as well.

basically all you need is a square boxs with a shaft that runs through it and bearing housings on each side and a shaft that goes through, then of coarse all the attachments.

in all honesty its far cheaper to buy one than to build on even one of the 2000 dollar ones, I have seen them on ebay for 300-600 bucks.

the other way to do it is get a battery operated drill mount it in a vise horizontally then make something to hold the spool to a shaft mounted on the drill

The tackle shop near my house had a simple set up some years ago. It was basically a spooling station (like the $25 berkleys) with a motor attached beside the reel seat. The motor had a "T" handle on the shaft and slid over to meet the reel handle. You simply placed the line on the spindle, then place the reel in the seat, slid the motor over,(the motor was on a slide to accommodate reel sizes with a wing nut to lock it in)attach the line to reel spool and turn it on. He used a "hook" to hold tension on the line as he spooled them. This worked great for baitcasters or any other reel with 2 grips on the handles but I don't know about spinning reels.However, you could modify it somehow to work on spin casters I'm sure.

Jay

When I was fishing tournys alot, like every weekend and prefishing 2-4 times a week, I changed my line once a month. SInce I am always at the shop and didnt have a linewinder I always used my machines.

I used a hand mill with old rod seat clamped in a vice and a t handle allen wrench in the chuck to turn the reel.

I used a 12" chuck on a manual lathe to take the line off the reels, what every I got I've used it.

Hell when I am in a hurry and need to Multitask, ;) I feed the line under the bathroom door, run the spool of line to the desk drawer with a pencil.

I have driven and spooled up line who ever is not driving holds the spool of line.

once I had to change line on the boat while waiting to launch for a tourny, I stripped the line using the prop on my 109lb TM, then cut it off with a knife and had my fishing partner spool it back on while I was driving the boat.

Anythng will work you just have to use your Imagination. a varible speed handdrill will help big time if you have multiple reels to do.

Beisdes if you home and have kids that what kids are for. they will wind it on tight if you show them how to do it and give them a pair of glooves so the line doesnt burn there fingers.

I hope this isn't a duplicate. I lost my network connection just as I hit submit.

I'm looking to build a motorized line winder to spool my reels. I did some searches but couldn't find a thread on the subject. Can anyone point me to some plans on building one?

Thanks

A wee bit late but how about this - http://www.planetseafishing.com/tutorials/read/how-to-construct-a-super-fast-line-stripper/

To wind the line onto another reel take a second bottle top and drill a hole in the centre of this and the base of the bottle with the line on it. Insert a welding rod through the cap and bottle as an axel and use a couple of rubber washers to apply the pressure.

When I want to take line off a reel and save it (the only line I save is braid), I use a conical wood rasp bit with a shaft that fits in a cordless drill drill. Picked up a set of these rasps at Home Depot years ago. Stick the rasp into an empty line spool, tape the end of the line to the spool, and zap it off the reel in a few seconds with the drill on "high speed".