muskietom51

Stumped

Help please this is really getting to be a pain lol. I made 3 real good looking baits so far! their sealed an I drilled the holes for the weights, centered. When I sit them into a tub of water they will not sit upright. The lead was melted an poured so they should be uniformly shaped to the holes. I added the ring an hooks hoping this would help but no luck can anyone help me with this process I sure could use it I also slid the lip into the slot.

Each piece of wood will have a dense side. If you make large Musy baits this can be enough to cause the problem you describe. If you baits are round, it pays to find out witch side 'wants' to float up BEFORE you carve. If the baits are a more natural shape you must be prepared to weight the lure accordingly, testing as you go.

Here is one way to correct the lures you've made. You can locate and determine the size of the weights needed using a test tank and small pieces of lead held in place with rubber bands or tape. When you have it all figured out, drill out the area, insert lead and fill the hole with epoxy. Preferably this is done before painting, if not, the musky won't mind the 'wounds'.

I had the same problem. Depending on the size of the bait will determine how much lead you need. At one Time I had to use six ounces of lead or so. The problem was that the lures were too tall. Now I try to keep them no more than 2 inches tall and more slender like the Legend Plow. Hope this helps. I've had my best results using some type of cedar especially Spanish cedar which is heavier than red cedar. I tried maple but I had problems with the epoxy finish cracking. I think the pressures of the deeper water has something to do with it. I think maple would be fine for jerk baits or shallower running lures . Good luck. Jim

I am no expert on this, but just looking at what you have done that works vs. what you did that don't work, I would say the bait is top heavy. How far are you drilling? You might try a wider weight that can be put closer to the belly or bottom instead of having weight drilled straight up. Food for thought. More details on what you are doing and perhaps a picture might get you in the right direction.

Tally

Musky1 was right when he mentioned the "height" of the lure this can cause you problems...Also you said you were pouring your lead...I do the same..but right after i pour the lead...soon as it sets up..press the lure against a flat surface to compress the lead completely in the cavity....this way you know you don't have any "high sdes" in the lead...Nathan

Thanks guys I figured it out, I took a store bought lure an split it. I was trying to put the weight in front an aft of the belly eye. The lure that I split had 1 weight at the belly hook hanger with the eye screw screwed through the lead, I duplicated an it worked great after I attached a hook. I think the cost of the lure was fine know I'll beable tohave plenty of that type lures. I'll try to take a pic of the split lure an put in on here later this weekend. thanks for all your info greatly appreciated.