lostfisher

Hook Description?

I am trying to buy jig hooks in bulk but I don't know what the description really means. I can't Find anything on these descriptions online. I am trying to pour some standard jigs in sizes 8, 10, and 12, but I don't know what they mean by:

1X-SHORT

1X-STRONG

X-SHORT SHANK

X-LONG

ROUND BEND

1X-LONG

FORGED

Also has anyone here dealt with captain hooks discount warehouse? How well did you like them?

I am trying to buy jig hooks in bulk but I don't know what the description really means. I can't Find anything on these descriptions online. I am trying to pour some standard jigs in sizes 8, 10, and 12, but I don't know what they mean by:

this is how I interpret these labels:

1X-SHORT

short shank good for when you want larger hooks, but don't want them to foul

1X-STRONG

thicker, stronger wire for bigger fish

X-SHORT SHANK

again, short shank good for when you want larger hooks, but don't want them to foul

X-LONG

extra long shank, for when you want to move the hooks farther away from the lure, like in prop bait, or in a tail skirt

ROUND BEND

on any hook, this describes the way the shank of the hook is turned up to the point.

round bend on a treble means these trebles have a wider gap between the shank and point, so they are great for fish that slap at cranks, and have room to let the hook sink into the fish's mouth before the shank or the other hooks interfere. I use round bends as the belly hooks on all my lures and cranks, and triple grips on the tails, since I think the fish have a harder time throwing a triple grip when they have the weight of the lure as a lever.

1X-LONG

longer shank

FORGED

heat treated, not drawn from wire. Typically a forged hook is stronger.

Also has anyone here dealt with captain hooks discount warehouse? How well did you like them?

I've not dealt with them, but I've visited their website, and they seem to have a good selection.

I ordered some jig hooks from them a couple years ago. If I remember correectly, it was by far the best deal out there and they seemed to ship fairly quick. (Think it boiled down to like 15 cents a hook on mustad ultra points when ordered by the thousand... 2 years ago)