• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 BobP

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:14 PM

How much is your time worth to crankbait buyers? Nada, zilch, zero. Buyers compare your product to your competition, including factories that crank out thousands per day. If you build a bait that looks great and fishes great, and sell all you make at a competitive price higher than your cost in time & material, you're in business. Otherwise, you're not. What's the first thing to get discounted? Compensation for your time, of course! It's definitely not a get rich fast deal!

#62 Snax

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:25 PM

I guess it's different if you sell smaller baits to the average consumer but if you can tap into the right market making larger lures, there's money to be made. Mind you, the time factor goes up along with the increase in size so there's got to be a much higher price tag to match.

Musky anglers are a fanatical bunch and will pay top dollar for a special bait to take on their trips. The same holds true for many saltwater anglers also.

It's all about finding or creating a market for your product. Not every angler will pay you what you're worth...but there are those who will and that's who I build my baits for. ;)

#63 woodieb8

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:51 AM

many fail to realize. sealing can depend upon the wood types. also water temps factor into the mix.. lure maufacturing becomes a process. time becomes money... e-bay can become a dumping ground for over zealous folks that feel they have the newest rage. most lure makers that manufacture for sale have spent years struggling before becoming mainstream.

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:06 PM

Personally I do believe there is money to be made. It all depends on on how hard one wants to work and what he is attempting to sell whether it is a product or a service.
In this line of work/hobby I think that there are so many lures that look and act so similar that many are just re-inventing the wheel. I would also guess that many are of us here doing this not necessarily to make money but to build something with pride and see that it actually catches fish... I mean how fun and cool is that?!?!?! Yes and true is the fact that if it does become a business it could actually take the fun out of fishing.
With the time that I have thought about how to improve the design of my lure and how to mass produce but still be hand crafted, I could have bought a Burger King...at work, when the Mrs. is "talking at me":whistle:(don't tell her that.) In the shower, on the throne etc...
Hello my name is "Goonsdad" and I have a problem... sorry to ramble