lostfisher

Favorite paints

I use Createx, Auto Aire, Wildlife, and Apple Barrel water based paints.

The colors I mainly use are white, black, pearl white, pearl silver, sparkle white, irridescent violet, moss green. I also use brite yellow, flamingo pink, dark and med. brown, med grey in transparentcolors, plus a little this or that as the winds of inspiration break.

I mix some colors, spray some in layers, whatever comes into my head.

The nice thing about water based colors is they don't have any "bad" solvents, and, once I've gotten the base colors and scale on the lure and heat dried the colors to set the paint, I spray the lure with pastel fixative, which is clear and waterproof and quick drying. Then I can experiment with other color schemes, highlight, and detail, and remove them if I don't like them with water and not mess up the base and scales.

Play around with colors. And get a color wheel from a paint store that tells you how to mix colors yourself.

Createx and Smith Wildlife brands are my faves. I always squirt them straight into the gravity feed cup of my airbrush. I paint colors over a white basecoat and I prefer transparent versus opaque colors for anything I want shaded. I seldom mix paint just because I'm too lazy to bother!

For me it's Auto Air Colors and Createx all the way. Incredible range of colors, lightfast and easy to use. I reduce according to my needs with the Auto Air 4011 series reducer and I almost always custom mix my own colors. It's fun and you can get much closer to realistic tones that way.