bbduc

Controlling PVC Action

I've yet to venture into the pvc world but I'm thinking about it. My guess is that the pvc is more predictable from bait to bait. Maybe not, maybe more or less air within the cells from area to area. Most of what I build is out of cedar which is quite buoyant and I weight it accordingly but the action is lively. What can I expect from pvc for action and what type of wood would you compare it to for action? :?

Thanks

I've yet to venture into the pvc world but I'm thinking about it. My guess is that the pvc is more predictable from bait to bait. Maybe not, maybe more or less air within the cells from area to area. Most of what I build is out of cedar which is quite buoyant and I weight it accordingly but the action is lively. What can I expect from pvc for action and what type of wood would you compare it to for action? :?

Thanks

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

3991_thumb.attach

Diemai, PVC, aka polyvinyl chloride, is used here for the same things you describe: an expanded foam to make durable exterior and interior moldings for houses. If yours is a styrene and not vinyl, it's different stuff but may be functionally similar. Maybe a TU Foam Expert can confirm.

@ BobP

This is the stuff , that I was refering to , just googled for it , this is a site of the BASF , a giant German chemical industry plant , English version .

Obviously they have the trademark on the term "Styrodur" , certainly there would be also different manufacturers around .

BASF Group: Plastics - Stryrodur: Benefit & Solutions

There are different densities available(look at "products") , I guess , for luremaking the one with the highest model code number would be neccessary , because it is obviously the hardest !

greetz , diemai

diemai

you can find PVC plates in germany at www.modulor.de. but keep in mind, that several different types concerning "hardness" and density are sold. the stuff is also well know and often used for architectural sculpturing and prototype carving (hand or cnc) (i.e. mould foam)

as far as it comes to Styrodur: the tiny air incapsulations (bubbles) in the material is what why it is used as isolation. the "holes" have to be filled after carving. also styrodur is by far not as hard as "mould foam" or PU-foam i used for castings.

@ dramone

Just checked the English version of that site , so I guess , that it must be the "Forex" sheets , these are called "PVC" there ?

Heck , I am just too unexperienced with all this kinda stuff:o !

And also I'd rather prefer to see and feel the material in a shop rather than ordering for it through the web .

Well , gonna check the German version now........!

Thanks for your advice and that link , anyway;) !

greetz , diemai

@ dramone

Ok , I have browsed through it a bit , that stuff weights 0,7 grams per cubic centimetre(2 to 4 mm thickness) , the thicker boards only 0,5 grams per cubic centimetre , which would be half as much as water , so theoratically a lurebody without hardware would stick out of the water with half of its volume !

That is more buoyant like many woods , that I have used !

To glue two PVC sheets together to put a wire form inbetween , I could use that special PVC glue , that they offer on that site as well , I guess ?

Thinking to get sheets of 10 mm , so glued together I'd have 20 mm thickness of lurebody , which would fairly be enough for some tapering and rounding off the blank .

Heck , it's 2 to 2 1/2 hours by car to get to Berlin from my place , way too long just for some material , need to have it mailed !

greetz , diemai

Edited by diemai