mouldybits

3 jaw chuck for wood lathe...

@ mouldybits

Sometimes I see such on fleamarkets in Hamburg , sold by Polish vendors , guess , they most likely get this machinery stuff from Russia , not the best quality , though .

But I doubt , that these guys would cross the Channel to sell their stuff in Great Britain , it's just too far , from here it's just 200 miles to Poland .

And these are quite small , maybe 6" to 8" dia. , if my memory serves me right .

In local tool marts they sell a few small hobby metal lathes as well , maybe try and ask in such shops to order for spare parts .

Or try and google for it , there are second hand machine pages around !

Sorry , I don't even know the exact English term for it , in German it is called "Dreibackenfutter" or "Dreibacken-Futter" !

If I may ask , for which purpose do you need it and which size ?

Or in other words , which diameters do you intend to chuck in ?

Do you just want to put it on a workbench or assemble it into machinery ?

But you must be aware , that these chucks provide a relatively high clambing pressure , so I guess , that on wooden workpieces they might leave some indents on the surface .

good luck :yay:, diemai

i have a 3 jaw chuck at home off an old metal lathe but thought it may be too heavy for the wood lathe, i had thought about the pressure marks as i used to get these on steel bar when turning pieces out. it would be for the concave mouth on larger popper type lures, as when turning i've found that the wood often breaks long before i get to finish the mouth with the tool and have to finish by hand...is it perhaps i'm turning the lathe too fast?

'Mouldy'

Not sure how big you want them, but cordless drill chucks work well, I have 3 or 4 in the shed. I saw a YouTube movie recently where a guy was using one to tie flies (used as a swivel chuck). I was thinking these would be good for holding /turning lures when painting etc.

If you remove the chuck and shaft from the drill, the shaft can be placed in a larger chuck, I have done this many times to hold tiny drills (1mm) in the drill press. The chuck can also be removed from the shaft too, from memory it is a L/hand thread (tight).pete

Mouldy

Just read your post again, sorry did not see 'large 3 jaw chucks'.

I googled "three jaw chucks wood" and there are heaps - if you have heaps of money.

https://www.hardware2u.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=651&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=6951&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26&vmcchk=1

Or you can buy one of these for $700 and get the chuck thrown in.

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/p8king/tl4000.htm

pete

Edited by hazmail

thanks for the help guys :yay: like i said before i have one in the garage at home from an old metal lathe but wasnt sure if it would be too heavy for my wood lathe what do ya reckon? its around 8inch diameter and around 3 1/2 deep, i've seen chucks for holding wooden vases etc on wood turning websites but as said they're quite expensive :(

@ mouldybits

Really depends on how strong your lathe is made , especially how rigid the center shaft transmitting the turning motion and it's bearings are .

A chuck of this size I estimate to weigh about 20 to 25 pounds or even more , so I guess , that it might be just at the limits ?

Worst thing is , that it might work out well at first , but shorten the lifetime of above mentioned machine parts rapidly .

good luck:yay: , diemai