paulsvolks75

help with soldering hooks to ice jigs

@ paulsvolks75

Don't know much about soldering such small parts , but did some early 2008 , wanted to apply some solder onto homemade brass spoons , just for weighting reasons .

I have used a gas-operated torch , which is real hot !

Well , I had 4 or 5 spoons , I had obtained some solder wire for copper tubing , just because it was thicker and would provide more weight !

But similar thing happened !

Though I didn't intend to bond two parts , that solder did not adhere well to the previously cleaned brass , also didn't flow well , so after two spoons I took a break .

Still had some different solder wire in my shop , a thinner , finer grade one , refered as radio solder with included flow media(sorry , don't know the exact English term for it) .

This one worked a lot better , gave a smoothely flown surface after curing and adhered well , just not as bad as the other first solder .

In a nutshell , maybe you should try a different kind of solder ?

good luck , diemai

You could try cored solder, used for electronics. It already contains a core of flux. It should be available in most hardware stores.

Make sure you clean all surfaces, 600 grit emery will do just fine. Keep surfaces clear of grease etc, including finger marks. The hooks may have a protective coating on them, this needs to be scraped off locally.

A regular soldering iron will not work, as the blade conducts the heat away too rapidly. So a flame source works better. The problem is that the direct flame oxidizes the surface very fast. So it might be better to heat the blade from the back face.

Clean and clamp the parts to be soldered. apply the heat and offer up the cored solder until it flows into the joint. Do not heat the solder, let the joint melt the solder. Capillary action will take care of the rest.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

I found that you need 50/50 acid core solder in small diamater. This is available at any hardware store. Every thing has to be very clean as previously mentioned!

What I am looking for are solder boards for ice jigs. They hold up to 50 jig and keep the hook in place while soldering them together.

Has anyone ever heard of them and knows where to get them?

I had the opportunity to purchase one from an individual that was making ice jigs in his home for sale. He became ill and had to quit, so he was liquidating all his equipment. That's how I came to know about them! He told me it was something you could purchase ,but didn't say where. I wish I would have bought them then!