pikehunter1775

topwater to a jerkbait

i bought this Rapala X-Rap Walk 13 and its a topwater bait. is there anyway that i could turn it into a gliderstyle jerkbait, i think if i could get the same action out of it but deeper in the water level it would be a pike killer! i was thinking of just adding some weightt o the nose of the bait but i dont know if it would work. i have also thought about just drilling a hole in it and filling the body with weight. then epoxying the hole. any idea or suggestions on what i should do? thanks for any help!

@ pikehunter1775

Before taking any drilling action on the lure , I'd suggest you to try sticking so-called "suspendots" or "suspendstrips" to the outside of the lure .

Think , that these are manufactured by the "Storm" company , but not quite sure about it !

You might as well build similar at home , simply take some roofing lead sheet(clean off any corrosion layers , dirt or paint) , thoroughly flatten it out and stick some double sided carpet tape onto it .

This way you'd be able to cut required piece sizes off with scissors , peel off the second backing of the tape and stick it onto your lure .

If you have found out about a satisfying lure action this way , you might still try drilling holes for placing equal amount of shot inside the lure(if the outer look with that stuck-on lead disturbs you) .

These home made weights are usually heavier than the "suspendots" since the lead sheet is thicker, approx. 1 millimetre .

But I guess , that it would be hard to keep the shot at proper location inside the lure body .

good luck :yay:, diemai

Hmm, turning a buoyant topwater into a sinking glider bait is sort of a worst case scenario for tinkering. IMO, you would not want the extra weight in the nose but somewhere near the natural balance point of the bait for best action. You'll need to do some float testing with weight attached temporarily to the outside of the lure until you get the sink rate and action you want. Suspend Strips or stick-on golf club or tennis racket lead tape are what I'd use. When you get the weight right you can smooth the edges of the lead tape and repaint the lure to hide the modifications. You could drill a hole in the top of the bait and drop in lead shot BUT that weight will move around inside the bait - maybe where you don't want it to be.

i bought this Rapala X-Rap Walk 13 and its a topwater bait. is there anyway that i could turn it into a gliderstyle jerkbait, i think if i could get the same action out of it but deeper in the water level it would be a pike killer! i was thinking of just adding some weightt o the nose of the bait but i dont know if it would work. i have also thought about just drilling a hole in it and filling the body with weight. then epoxying the hole. any idea or suggestions on what i should do? thanks for any help!

Buy an X-rap subwalk. It's exactly the bait you're saying you want to make. Only available in a 9 or 15 size though

Edited by clamboni