Soupysayso

Fancy smancy compressors, HELP!

I'll start this off by saying I'm an airbrush and plumbing retard. That is, not one clue what I'm talking about or what you're talking about most of the time. However, I've poured over most of the comments and postings, did some searches, etc., and learned some things. I've pretty much set my mind on a Paasche VL airbrush kit. I'm trying to figure out this whole air compressor deal. I see stuff on ebay paired up with the paasche VL airbrush kits but I need a more informed person to help me out. Forgive me if this is very elementary, this is all self-taught and word of mouth (reading in this case) learning for me. So here goes: I see compressors that have an auto on/off feature, which supposedly only turn on as I shoot and turn off when I'm not. Does this mean I don't need a tank to go with that? Does this mean I can get away with a smaller tank? I was shooting for a mini-compressor that was quiet but would put out 60psi hoping that's more than enough. I'm reading the website at http://www.airbrushcity.com/factsheet.htm

Airbrush city model ABC1000. I really don't want a giant compressor that's going to bother the entire neighborhood, but if that's what it takes, I'll do it early in the mornings on the weekends so as to please everybody :wink: . I'm not sure what kind of paint I wish to shoot. I'd like something high quality that's not going to give me problems, thinking laquer...is that bad or good? I'm more about fishing than fiddling and this is more or less a winter hobby for me right now as cabin fever has already set in. I think I have realistic expectations but I don't want to get discouraged and give up on the whole idea, so please keep that in mind when "edumucating" me. I'd greatly appreciate advice and mentoring that will get me up and running and learning to use the gun (on paper first) faster because I suffer from a rare form of hardhead/ADHD when it comes to trying something new and exciting. Thanks and my apologies about the many questions of elementary nature.

You don't need a real big compressor. I have a 2 gallon compressor that I got from www.harborfreight.com You will need a regulator. This is a guage that sets how much pressure goes to your airbrush. You can get them for less than $20. I like a larger compressor than the ones for airbrushes because they will hold more air in the tank and not run all of the time. They do make "quiet" small compressors for airbrushes, but they are more expensive. The Paasche VL is a good gun. I have one and I have been completely satified with it. If you are painting inside your house I would use water based paints. Lacquer paints have a strong smell and the thinners that you have to use have a strong oder also. If you have any more questions, just ask.

Skeeter

One thing that I have to tell you is that getting a FANCY SCHMANCY Compressor is a good thing, HOWEVER using one for your needs AND your budget is another. I LEARNT THE HARD WAY! I first bought a Small Badger air compressor with my Beginning Badger 150 airbrush. I started airbrushing T-Shirts as a side Hobby-Business. This Compressor was supposed to be "QUIET" and work well. I just felt it didnt have the gumptions for my needs. I was cranking out some T-Shirts by the way! I spent over $200.00 for this unit when it first came out. I used it for a good year but I had to get rid of it. (This was back in the mid 80's by the way.) It really was a pain in the neck to use and work on the Pressure plus it also blew a lot of water into the airbrush EVEN WITH a filter attached. But the truth is I got a GREAT DEAL on a HUGE 3 HP 20 Gallon Ingersoll Rand Compressor. This retailed for like $499.00 New and after a years use by a LARGE COMPANY, and it was used only twice, ( I know cause I worked for them) I bought it for $75.00 Bux. I had this compressor for 15 years but due to the size of this unit it deterred me from using it more often than I should have. ACTUALLY... I FLAT OUT STOPPED USING IT! When I turned this sucker on... MY HOUSE LIGHTS GREW DIM!! Granted the T-shirts I did, brought me in enough money to basicly pay for my stuff, plus make a real nice profit, but it was a tough thing to do with such a LARGE COMPRESSOR! Two months ago, after checking out this website and wanted to make some lures, I turned around and sold it for the SAME $75.00 Bux! I wanted to get a smaller and more compact unit so I bought a Compressor from Sears. This unit is a little HotDog style compressor with a 2 gallon tank and retailed for $119.00. Right before Christmas they marked them to $99.00! (I believe they are still at $99.00) Its PERFECT, plus if you want at a later time you can hook up air powered tools to it. Those air powered tools can be used just like a Dremel, GREAT THING FOR CRAFTING LURES BY THE WAY! All the neccesary hookups are sold at Sears, PLUS since its a Craftsman they have the Return it for a New One Policy if it breaks or malfunctions. I dont know about you but I got like 4 Sears with a half hours drive of each other up my way! You cant beat that. I checked K-Mart and Wal-mart, they have a DECENT unit for $10.00 less, but I chose the Craftsman for $10.00 more. IMHO... you cant beat it for the Quality and THE PRICE!! If you do buy that unit, my suggestion is to pick up a regulator for the air compression, a few extra bux. This will allow you to adjust the correct PSI settings. Another thing extra to consider is the water filter that will hold back any condensation that the compressor and tank will kick out going into the air brush. (AGAIN SOLD AT SEARS). After usage you should also remember to use the drain plug on the bottom of the tank. Again condensation builds up inside so its a wise idea to turn it loose when done and not in use. That condensation will build up and rust out your tank from the inside. Again I treated my biggie real well and granted I will miss her, even with her 20 years plus, when I turned her on.. she kicked it out and kicked some butt! With a little care, Im sure I will surpass that with the Craftsman! Sorry to be long winded, but I hope that helps. Cody

P.S. Sorry I really didnt answer the questions above, but yes the automatic on off only kicks on when you depress the lever to the air brush for air on the smaller units. (the ones without the tank) You do not need a tank for these units either. Its a "SELF CONTAINED UNIT" ( I guess??) I was not 100 per cent satisfied with my first unit like this since the air compression basicly kicked out its own compression, the Badger that is. But IMHO I think that all the units WITHOUT THE TANK WILL BE LIKE THAT. You need to be assured that if you set it at the right PSI... thats what your gonna get. Even with a regulator it didnt seem to kick it out like I wanted. Hooking up a tank would have been ok... but why bother. I paid over $200.00 for the unit, it should have worked great, PLUS it really wasnt as QUIET as it was described. The larger units with the tank will automatically turn on when the tank needs to be refilled, and when its filled will shut off automatically. The Craftsman I suggested above is NOT SO BAD. I have run my unit in the basement while my kids were asleep, and I never heard a peep from them while I was using my airbrush. PRACTICE this, it is not easy to master at first and can be VERY DISCOURAGING at first! So practice LOTS AND LOTS on the paper. Follow the Tutorial on past posts from HOW TO AIRBRUSH! You will learn it if you follow the tutorial! Cody

I use a campbell Hausfeld 2 gallon air compressor that I purchased at Wal-Mart for 80 bucks. It has a bulit on Reg and it is light, quite and will build up to 100 psi which gives you plenty of other uses for this little compressor. Such as airing up tires or using brad nailers. All I had to do is add a water trap to the compressor which you can get at lowe's, Harbor freight or dixieart. I paint at my kitchen table and the compressors is so quite it doesn't bother anyone else in the house, plus its small and can be placed under the sink. I shoot only acrlic because i do paint in the house. I mainly shoot createx or Apple Barrel craft paint and thin it from a recipe that Blackjack posted a few weeks back (THANKS a bunch Blackjack it really has helped alot). I am not sure about laquer or enamel brands i will let more knowledgeable people comment on that. Happy painting and good luck

:D You guys rock! Thanks for all the replies and information. I definitely have some leads to work with. I was actually checking out that hotdog compressor that was mentioned and Harborfreight seems to have pretty good prices. I will make that trip to sears before I pull the trigger on anything. I kinda like the idea of replacing what I have with a new one should something go wrong as the bad luck bug follows me around when it comes to anything related to fishing. I had some hard-luck lessons to learn when carving so I'm assuming airbrushing won't be much different. I'll try to get up and running soon so I can practice on paper while it's still cold out. Thanks again :)