chugbug5

Difference between Spanish and Eastern Red Cedar?

Hello all,

I tried to do a search for this topic, but for some reason, I kept getting an error message. So if it's been covered b4, my apologies.

Is there a big difference between Spanish and Eastern Red cedars?

I purchased some starter kits to make my own lathe turned hardbaits. The same catalog sells Spanish Cedar blanks but seem to be a bit expensive ($8 for 5 blanks). Being a woodworker, and having done some outdoor projects, I have a small supply of "Eastern Red" cedar. Even if I purchase some Eastern Red from the lumber yard, it's still much cheaper than the Spanish cedar.

Is there a big difference between the two - as far as weight or buoyancy goes that I couldn't use my Eastern Red cedar?

Since I live on the lake, I made a few topwater styles (a Devil's horse" and a "Spook" style) from my cedar, and they seem to work ok. But if I'll get better performance from the Spanish, I'll spend the money for it.

Thanks...Chugbug5

horse_spook.jpg

horse_spook.jpg

horse_spook.jpg

horse_spook.jpg

horse_spook.jpg

horse_spook.jpg

horse_spook.jpg

horse_spook.jpg

3997_thumb.attach

I have a listing of nominal densities for various species that says red cedar is 23.7 lb/cu ft and white cedar is 20.0 lbs/cu ft. It doesn't list "eastern red cedar" or "Spanish cedar". If the Spanish is a white cedar type, it might on average be slightly more buoyant. In reality, nominal densities can be misleading. What counts is the actual hunk of wood in your hand - what part of the tree it was cut from, the moisture content, and environmental conditions where the wood was grown. Maybe a TU woodworker knows why Spanish cedar is sought after and costs more than domestic species. My guess it that the reason will not have anything to do with the buoyancy of crankbaits:)

Try this link and you will get to know more about these woods and a few hundred others....

Exotic Wood Pictures: Exotic Wood displayed, described, and identified

These two woods are very different and apparently not even cedars! Eastern red cedar would appear to be a good lure making wood if you can avoid the knots, Spanish cedar is soft as I recall working a piece in the past. Maybe a market to fisherman who smoke cigars.....

Hi Guys, thanks for your comments. If it wasn't assumed, I was mainly interested in the differences in the woods as it pertains to using for making hardbaits. Specifically for floaters (such as the two examples in my pics).

I also said it was Eastern Red Cedar (ERC), but don't really know for sure if it is. As I said, I purchased it several years ago at a local lumberyard for an outdoor furniture project. Don't remember asking what kind it was. Since I live in the east (PA), I just assumed it was ERC.

I guess the density info would be the most relavant. But I guess if it floats and performs, it doesn't matter what I use. When I purchased the hardware, I did purchase some basswood blanks to try - thinking they'd work best for 'bass' lures (lol) - but found it to be much heavier. Made it better for casting, but wasn't as reactive when I tried to work it. I guess the basswood would work for certain types.

The few that I have made from my cedar performed as well as their purchased counterparts, so I'm satisfied with them. Was just wondering if I was missing something by using a different type.

I saw on a post where someone mentioned using a hardwood. What hardwood would you be using (Mahogany?)

Thanks again for the help...Chugbug5