Snax

Swimbait joints... angled or not?

Hey everyone,

I'd like to get some responses on what you all think it the best way to angle the jointed sections of swimbaits or just keep them flat.

Myself, I've always angled the leading sections backwards so that the middle section for example would fit into a notch out of the head section. I thought it was necessary for getting the lure to swim.

That was the only way I'd seen them done until recently where I've now noticed some that have a concave leading edge that really catches the water.

I've also seen some that have no angles and the sections are just left as is after they were cut. This would also catch more water than my method.

Hopefully any of what I just typed makes sense! lol

I'm thinking of going with the concave, forward facing scooped out type of leading edges on my upcoming swimbaits for 2009. I want them to swim with the slightest forward motion and this I believe is the way that Nate does his new Trout which is phenomenal.

Oh, by the way if Mark Poulson is reading this, could you post some photos of the ones you just tested with the concave joints? Thanx!

Edited by Snax

I'm not certain that I explained myself properly in my first post. I know that Mark Poulson did some recent testing with the concave joint sections and found that it did help with getting them to swim at slower speeds.

Mark, love for you to chime in if you have a chance.

I have to keep an open mind. Still collecting all the facts from you guys, to put together a theory of swimbaits. I have a theory in my head, but until I test it out for myself and prove it, then it is not worth talking about.

I have learned a lot from the various videos and discussions, including the hinge discussions. So, hopefully I will be able to publish some ideas here later in the year. Should be an interesting discussion.

Dave